Skip to main content

Dragon and Marriage

R0011049 (Medium)

In an exhibition of embroidery I visited some weeks ago, apart from the tiger theme, there was a theme on dragon.  To the Chinese, the dragon not only symbolizes bravery, power and prestige but is also esteemed as an auspicious creature.  In the Ancient Book of Changes the dragon conjures up the highest aspiration and perfection, full of life and enthusiasm, soaring into the clouds, mysterious and lofty.


R0011062 (Medium)(A tradition new bed made ready for the newly-weds.  The character on the drape is "Double Happiness")


The last but most interesting theme was marriage.  In the Chinese tradition, the new bed is of great importance in a wedding.  On the auspicious day selected according to the lunar calendar, which is a couple of days preceding the wedding, the new bed is moved to the right position by a man of good luck.  The position must be calculated to match the Eight Diagrams figures for the bride's and groom's dates of birth.  The bed is forbidded to be placed vis-a-vis the sharp angles of tables or cabinets.

Afterwards, the bed sheets are arranged by a lady with a big extended family.  She puts on the bed wedding sweets, dried lychees, red beans, green beans and two red packets.

When the bed is set, no one is allowed on it, especially widows and divorcees.  Babies are of exception, however, for fecundity reason.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.