Skip to main content

Acquired-gears-In-Deficiency Syndrome

R0011608 (Medium)

Let me be straightforward: How many cameras do you own?

The Sydrome

I own several, including a Ricoh, two Minoltas (the 7000i not working now), three Olys (one film P&S, two free bank gifts), a Polaroid and some PC124343 (Medium)lens, flashes and accessories. As those gears are acquired over a period of almost two decades, I am at a relatively early stage of what I call the Acquired-gears-In-Deficiency Syndrome, or AgIDS. Personal encounters and forum browsing show that 99.9% of the photographer population is infected:

"How did you do the motion look in a photo? I can’t do it with my 450D." (Is the dial on my friend’s 450D glued to P mode?)

"I own a LX3 and have just ordered a G10." (Does he know that LX3 can actually take photos? A typical terminal case.)

"How do you spot-meter?" (But the user is talking about his high-end DSLR!)

A novice using an expensive camera asked: "Why does the LCD of my GRDII flicker when pointing to the TV? Is that normal?" (That’s not normal in any sense!)

"I’ve being using GX200 for some months and just found that there is a snapshot mode!" (This is a near terminal case.)

"I am new to photography and am hoping to buy the 4D. Any suggestion?" (Okay, you wish to buy gears which outgrows your skills at the moment so that they can last longer. Well, the other day I saw a motorist on an expensive, high-powered two-wheeled Harley with a Learner’s License on it. I gasped: First of all, is it a manageable learning tool for a novice?)

The Cure R0011619 (Small)Unfortunately, the sickness is incurable. The only way to make the infected feel less painful is to continue the endless hunting and buying. So, here comes the question:

HOW CAN WE KEEP BUYING NEW GEARS AT LOW PRICES?

(Keep shopping)

ANSWERS: If you buy stuff online:

1)try this: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=30178527

2)try pre-ordering with dealers

If you buy at a shop:

3) Cheap prices make strange bedfellows: Some locals in the online community arrange meetups to do the purchase together; or as I did, ask if you could join forces with prospective buyers in the office

4) Come to Hong Kong or go to Shenzhen: Take for example, a grey market G10 is selling for HK$2,740 (around US$343). A proper one with a one-year-warranty is selling for about HK$3,000; a proper GX200 for HK$3,470 (some two weeks ago; now is with a 15% Christmas discount). If you know your way, go to Huaqianglu in Shenzhen (China’s city at Hong Kong’s doorstep). I bought a Light Sphere at a very, very low price there.

R0011622 (Medium)

5) Talk till they drop: Bargain your way out until the sales people drop the price. I have some experience in bargaining in the context of Hong Kong. Give me some time to write them. I will include some useful Cantonese to make you sound like a local when you shop here. You may also see if my tactics suit where you live. Until tomorrow.

(Shop till you drop)

Comments

ch said…
interesting...
I have tried the third approach

I'm glad I am not in HK, temptation will be too strong then...

the ultimate solution as I think...is to make really big money, LOL
Nevin said…
ch, you bet. Walk in any big camera stores and you'll see the counters are really crowded. Customers have to wait for their turns.

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4