Friday, 5 November 2010

City Rhapsody

Our long-time reader, Christopher Guy, sent us some of his shots surrounding a theme "City Rhapsody", showing us around the city in his photographic eye.  He uses the Panasonic LX3.  Enjoy!

P1040053
P1040088

P1040060

P1040080

Wednesday, 3 November 2010

GH2 Shots: Different ISOs and Focal Lengths

image

Some folks have already got their new Panasonic GH 2 and tested them.   Click the links below to check the image quality, noise performance, bokehness of shots taken at different focal lengths and ISO values.  Be sure to check the noise performance in the last few images:

ISO Focal Length (mm) Exposure Combo
100 45 1/50s, f2.8
1/1300s, f3.2
2s, f5.6
20 1/125s, f1.7
160 150 1/500s, f2
1/1300s, f2.5
14 1/250s, f5
400 20 1/8s, f8
800 300 1/25s, f5
45 1/320s, f4.5
20 1/60s, f2.8
1600 140 1/4000s, f5.8
15 1/6s, f4.1 (night shot) (fairly clean)
3200 15 1/15s, f4.1 (night shot) (noisy)
6400 15 1/15s, f4.1 (night shot) (very noisy)
12800 15 1/50s, f4.1 (night shot) (too noisy)

Cheap Low Life: Property Slaves

RIMG0617 (Large)
(Camera: GXR A12 50mm)

We have two kinds of live forms in Hong Kong, with property developers and speculators as the supreme life-form and owners and aspirant owners of a property as the cheap low-life one.  These are some of the whys:

-- In Hong Kong, touting for tickets of any sort is illegal and offenders are liable to conviction for ticket scalping.  Applying this logic to the property market will be a long time coming, if that will ever happen.  Do you have the ambassadorial eloquence to justify why landed-property scalping activities, a.k.a. speculation or investment, are permitted at the expense of the general public's interest?

-- Just as most booming countries in this part of the world, property prices have skyrocketed in recent years.  Members of the public have urged the government to rein in the crazy property price hikes to, not surprisingly, no avail.  Just days ago, a local property developer commented in public that the property prices were way too high, so much so that even his son could not afford one: he was talking about luxurious homes pitched at a unit price of over HK$100 million!  What a funny mockery, Mr Developer!  And this attitude is not a coincidence.

-- To add to the plight of the public, the government has defied yet another logic.  In anywhere else around the world, robbery is an offence in law. But the reality here makes us more circumspect in accepting this truth. Recently, the government has in the name of redevelopment bulldozed ahead with the legislation of robbery in nature. It empowers property developers, after securing the consent of 80% of the owners of the designated properties, to make compulsory sale of homes of the remaining 20%. In a nutshell, the developers can sell people's properties without reaching a mutually acceptable agreement with them.  And now that's LEGAL!


Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Cheap Low Life: Eating Waste

SAM_8059 (Large)
(Camera: EX1; noise added to the image)

Maybe in our eyes she is an old lady of no relevance, eating people's leftovers on the roadside.  But fact is, she is a real person who has lived a life as worthy as ours.  This awareness can change our perspective in approaching these "strangers".  A sense of humanity in our observations can make the world very different.  I have a recent story to tell.

While the legislation on minimum wage is to be implemented in Hong Kong, the public is gobsmacked to learn the unedifying move of a local chain restaurant, Cafe d' Carol.  It excludes lunchtime from the paying working hours!

We are talking about a few Hong Kong dollars rise in the hourly wage rate per employee.  But the recent performance report shows that the food company has earned about HK$500 million.

Think about that again.

Monday, 1 November 2010

Cheap Low Life: Beggar

SAM_7719 (Large)
(Camera: EX1)
At the corner of a bustling street, this beggar started to make his living in the morning.  The reason why he had to beg for money is not known.  But do we care?  Do we really just walk by without any show of the slightest pity?

Sunday, 31 October 2010

Enough Is Enough

 

SAM_7971 (Medium) There's why we have a break. 

This is Sunday.  Have a great day in freedom!