Skip to main content

Well Read

R0010492L (Ricoh GX200)

I have been using the GX200 since mid-2008.  In between the time from then to now, I have tried at least 15 serious compact cameras by Ricoh, Pany, Samsung, Canon and presently the Leica D-Lux 5.  All of them underwent my review but some have not had a chance to publish.  Up to this point, I can still call myself well read in compact cameras.  

Whether there will be more camera reviews here this year depends on the spare time I will have.  For Ricoh cameras, with the penchant for this brand I will give them the priority to do a review.  Taking about reviews, the Internet is increasing filled with less than mediocre reviewers.  Beware of their verdicts.  Sometimes, some of them may say something like the ad I wrote about here.

The negative effect of having tried so many cameras is one feels numb to yet another new camera -- even if it is a new camera for me to keep.

Now that my camera cabinet is rather cramped, and space is to be spared for the Leica X1, I am considering selling the Ricoh GX200.  Oh, this is such a good -- soon a vintage -- camera that I will still keep one of my two.  I have no specific idea of how to go about it.  It is best to sell to a local in Hong Kong.  Anyway, if you're interested, send me an email.

Lastly, if you ask me to pick one from those I tried for the best value for money, I would say the Samsung EX1.  Its performance at ISO800 is in reality very usable.  I'd say upto ISO1600, the images are fine on regular-size print. The IQ is in general great.  The Germany-brand lens gives good details in final images.  Twin control wheels.  Swiveling screen. Metallic body. Intuitive menu system.  Usable colour modes.  Cheap price tag.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.