Skip to main content

Exoticism

_SAM2035 (Medium)
A poster and a T-shirt depicting one of the celebration activities on the Cheung Chau Bun Festival today: the Piu Sik parade.  The big characters say, Peaceful.

After having been to Cheung Chau for so many times, I still find it surprising on every new visit.  The explanation may lie in the stark contrast of it to the urban areas in every noticeable way.  The community is more closely bonded together as everyone seems to know others he or she runs into on the street which can be told from their friendly greetings.

_SAM2024 (Medium) A typical lane on Cheung Chau

Oh, I shouldn't say "street".  "Lane" is the proper word for what crisscrossing the island is a labyrinth of narrow lanes where every sort of daily activities take place.  This I think is one of the main source of Cheung Chau's exoticism that delights the visitors.

_SAM2138 (Medium)

The Cheung Chau community is probably as old as human activities were recorded in Hong Kong.  For example, the Bun Festival can be traced back to the middle of the Qing Dynasty roughly 200 years ago.   First, it was a three-day worshipping to the Chinese deity Pak Dei (North King) to curse away the plague ramping on the island.  The tradition has been carried on to become today's yearly celebrative party for the whole island.

Some island residents told me that it has never rained on the Festival day because the heavens bless the island for reason of the "cleaning Tai Ping Tei" done beforehand.  Tai Ping means "peaceful" while Dei is "ground".   Simply put, the folks believe that the massive cleaning operation on the island brings good luck.  Fact is, as you can imagine, it was initially for the benefit of public health and hygiene which was pretty much why the Festival first took place in the imperial days.

 _SAM2151 (Medium)The facade of the Cheung Chau Theatre

In such a place as old as great grandpas, there are not just old traditions.  I ventured into the maze of lanes with the NX10 and _SAM2144 (Medium)stumbled into some deserted aged buildings.  One of them which held my interest most was the Cheung Chau Theatre, now turned into four external walls without a roof.

Since the pancake lens of the NX10 was not as wide as I liked it to be, I, standing in front of the theatre, couldn't get a full frontal picture of it.  So I walked the scene to find the best spot  and ended up in where I took the photo above.  I included in the shot a part of the stone parapet next to me to show a sense of depth as well as to balance the preponderance of the theatre building on the left of image.  It echoes the roughness of the place too.  Also, to give the viewers into the right spatial perspective, I waited until someone walked by before pressing the shutter release.  In fact I got several shots but like this one best because the passer-by was obviously an aged person which complements the oldness the image tries to capture.

_SAM2146 (Medium)
The rusty gate of the theatre which shuts visitors out.  I like the colour.

Half an hour later, I was back to the promenade fronting the bay dotted by vessels of all sorts.  Suddenly, the siren went off behind me.  Turning my head over the shoulder, I was sort of amused to see the somewhat flattened ambulance swishing past me.  Apart from the emergency vehicles, Cheung Chau is free of road traffic.  There are lots of bike traffic of course.  Bike is the major transportation on the island.
 _SAM2169 (Medium)

_SAM2031 (Medium)_SAM2012 (Medium)

The four Chinese characters say, "Been Here" which is the most popular phrase of graffiti by locals at the particular place they visit for the first time and probably will not come back for many a year.  "Been Here" is the name of an eatery.

Stay tuned for more about my NX10 photographic trip to Cheung Chau.

Comments

muddy said…
I love your Cheung Chau set of images, thanks for sharing.
Nevin said…
Hi, Muddy,

Thank you for your kind words and visiting. Honoured to hear that you love the images.

Cheers,
Nevin

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4