Skip to main content

Almost Got Killed

R0012789 (Medium) (2) (Modern Wash: The image reminds me of a Chinese wash painting with exception of the theme on buildings rather than mountains. The wash of grey silhouette is what caught my eye at the scene. The airspace above the buildings was once the landing route to the old international airport in Hong Kong)

Until the old international airport was decommissioned, I often went up a hill which commanded a view to the landing route. I went there for plane spotting. The hill was actually a landmark for pilots to take the last turn to align planes with the airstrip. Landmarks are important for pilots, as told to me by a late WWII co-pilot who was my friend, as tangible way points to complement the electronics aboard. On the hill I could have been killed.

I am still not sure whether the pilot drink-flew or the electronics malfunctioned on that unforgettable ocassion. I was on the hill, standing on a narrow strip by the steep slope, and watched planes landing as usual. After a while, a Boeing 737 plane came along. It kept on flying towards where I was standing. From experience, I was certain that the pilot missed the way point where he should veer the plane. The plane went straight towards the hill for ten seconds which was a long time for a flying plane. I thought to myself that I could die there in a second. Luckily, the pilot took a deep turn even though it was at so late a moment that it was just some 50 metres away from the hill, exceptionally shorter than the 300 metres distance. I covered my ears with both hands as the plane winged its way to the airport.

The place I took this photo is on the hill in the background of this photo. The plane winged past a normal distance as close as this. Now you know why I was scared my pants off that time.

R0012788 (Medium)More photos of the amazing old days landing at Kai Tak can be viewed here.

(The airstrip of the old airport is on the lower
left-handed side of this photo)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.