Skip to main content

The-Without-Morals

R0012128 (Small)(Rain and Tear: Late last night, the van I rode back home tore onto the road in the rain but at the red traffic light the driver still dutifully stopped the car, giving me a chance to take a shot of the medley of colours reflected on the windows full of raindrops. There was not enough light so I simply defocused the shot a bit)

 

An OZ (Australian) friend of mine who took almost five years to travel around the world commented badly on China for its people. She was annoyed by the sly quality of the people she met during her China leg of the trip. Opinionated her comments might be, but there is some truth in it.


I have made regular trips to the Mainland China for some years. There are certainly good people I have met. But a large portion of the people can be summed up into two categories: the-without-morals and the-without-hopes.

 

R0011971 (Small)(Believe It or Better Not: Two youngsters with their hair dyed in golden colour are selling self-proclaimed medicine for skin problems. News about fake foodstuff and medicine in China are galore. The government ad in the background, “Be a Civilized Citizen, Build a Civilized City”, speaks volumes for the general situation)

 

It is not that only China has the-without-morals. There are surely a great number of them in the more advanced countries, but in finer attire and with fancier titles for probably even more voracious ulterior motives. The moral dissonance in China is more deafening because there seems to be scant advancement for a fairer and more open society to compensate its fast-tracked economic development. So, people tend to take chances to cheat. It has grown to be kind of a moral plague. It is contagious too: sights of very mature Caucasian men holding the hands of fledgling Chinese women (usually with a great body) have become more common in China. This is not intended in any way about age discrimination. But something is fishy about it nonetheless.

 

R0011975 (Small) (Agricultural Past: Some twenty years ago, he was probably transporting the goods on a bike or an oxcart. China used to be a big agricultural country. After 30 years of economic reforms, it has jumped to become the fourth largest world economy)

 

R0011970 (Small)(Traffic Police: The policeman is on duty at a busy road junction. China is already one of biggest world economies and on the rise probably as another superpower. More should be done to improve its governance and government. Without a more fair and open system, a huge economy as China is now could dent the world economy if anything serious about it goes wrong)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Doesn't seem like you got much out of your world travels. Your observations on China are bigoted and small-minded. Like all bigots, you generalize freely from a handful of experiences.

I'd guess you didn't bother to learn to speak Chinese--so people had to give you special treatment every step of the way.
Nevin said…
Anonymous: Doesn't seem like you got much out of your world travels.
-> No, not much really. I just had fun.

Ano: Your observations on China are bigoted and small-minded. Like all bigots, you generalize freely from a handful of experiences.
-> Noted. My first time to China was in 1985 when it started to open up again to the world. In comparison with the vast size of China, my four stays in Beijing and occasional living in China for the past ten years can only afford me a handful of experiences.

Ano: I'd guess you didn't bother to learn to speak Chinese—
-> I hope you don’t wish to generalise: I speak Putonghua very well, fluent Cantonese and English. I regret that I hadn’t worked harder for my Japanese and French which I have forgotten more than I learned.

Ano: so people had to give you special treatment every step of the way.
-> Maybe we can meet some time and then you can tell me exactly what you think.
Anonymous said…
I am telling you exactly what I think. I find it doubly appalling that despite your familiarity with the language, you don't hesitate to brand your Chinese hosts with racist stereotypes. Do I need to remind you that you wouldn't speak Chinese if many Chinese people had not been kind--and patient-- enough to help you learn it?
Nevin said…
For a second, I wanted to delete your last comment. But I just thought that you must feel very offended to write so strongly. So it would be better for me to leave yours just there.

You're very wrong in your comment.

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4