Skip to main content

Composition and Feelings

lonetree(Sony A55)

Can composition in photography be learnt? In a cliché way of a reply, yes and no, depending on how you look at composition.

It is not really opinionated to say that no photographer hasn’t learned about compositional techniques at some point of time by reading guidebooks, studying works of others or soliciting advices from old hands. I for one have tried all of these. Just as any techniques, compositional skills can be learnt.

However, it is clear as one travels further in photography that compositional contemplation isn’t just about implementing standardised codes. In fact, I am starting to query the conventional wisdom of treating compositional principles as a paradigm standing on its own. It is in this sense that I think composition cannot be learnt.

Take today’s shot for example.

At the sight of this spot the question immediately jumped to my mind, in a split of a second, was how to frame a nature shot. Probably intuitive to every adept photographer, the typical rule and sure-fire way is none other than enclosing the centre of interest with the usable elements of landscape around. But chances are that no landscape element is available around and maybe they are changing too fast for that purpose as in the case of this shot.

This scene captured my attention as the 4-wheel drive was whishing across the desert to the next sand dunes in Dubai. Seeing through the viewfinder, I fixed my eye on it and decisively snapped the shot when the elements within the frame fell into place. It should be pointed out that the driver hadn’t slowed down the car for my sake which was going in like 110 km/h (roughly 68 mph). So, no chance to compose in a proper sense really. Fact is, however, I did not fumble for any second there and then with the composition as a matter of its own. The composition, together with the exposure combo, simply serves to reflect my state of mind at that decisive moment.

Now, to decipher the shot’s composition in a technical way, I can say that putting the lone tree on the left bestows the image with a continuous view as this conforms to our habit of reading (maybe except for Arab readers whose language is read from right to left); checked. The green bit of the tree is roughly on the golden intersection; checked. The one third distribution between the land and the sky is a commonly taught compositional technique; checked. Nothing to engage the viewers on the left portion of the shot – not so good. I could also say that I might have probably viewed the scene in geometric forms. So on and so forth.

But I would rather see the shot as a whole in terms of how it reflected my state of mind. It was taken on my last day of the Dubai trip when my frustration over the various hacked online accounts and the tiredness under the hellish heat were subsiding. It was meant to be a chance to stay away from the hectic work at home but, paradoxically, the prospect of going home somehow gave me a peace of mind (which street photographer won’t with no mobile communication under a weather too hot for street photography). After all, the vista outside of the car windows was captivating. I saw the tree braving the heat on the dry desert. It was a sign of hope which connected to my feelings. Looking through the viewfinder, I snapped the shot when the elements combined to best reflect such feelings of mine. I did not compose the shot to fall in line with the technical rules or to amaze the viewers in the first place.

In a nutshell, what is important is not whether compositional technique can be learnt. To me, composition is only as good as the technical rules can get if without first fermenting one’s feelings towards a scene. The rules of composition in photography can and should be learnt as a technique to build a stepping stone from which one should move on to look at the compositional device not for its own sake but, together with other photographic devices, for use to reflect one’s feelings which should be there in the first place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4