Skip to main content

Aging and Musings

oldladies (Ricoh GX200)

Some years ago, I bookmarked a column article titled "My Guide to Old Age" written by Brian Aldiss for the Guardian back in 2006. It was not that I was or am - but for everyone the time will come one day - old enough to need the consultation myself but that, as an octogenarian, he gave an insight in one spot which human nature is rooted in.

Which is love.

As you read along the article, you may see that threading through his tips is the theme of love. The love of life, of reading, of exploring around, of the awaking hours and, the most important of all, the love shown by and towards his woman.

He wrote in the middle part of the article before turning to the inconveniences of old age, "Many people feel old at 30. I still feel young in spirit. And there is a great abounding reason for that, though she has begged me not to mention her name. She is just the most empathic, intelligent, adorable woman I have had the luck to meet. My winter sunshine."

Wow, winter sunshine. If feeling has a colour, this has to be glowing with warmth in a golden cast.

The notion that we need love is so obviously important and unmistakeably comprehensible that seeing people being unable to be consistently stimulated by the abstract noun "love" is mind-boggling. In most cases, what we let consistently stimulate ourselves is not love but the feeling patronised by our emotions. We love who and what we find lovable, listen to who and what pleases us and react in a likewise fashion. These are the least qualities to be called love, just as crème brulee with salt is not what crème brulee is supposed to be.

Love has a recipe too. While ours are different as we may not share the same taste, there are some universal ingredients, of which one is broad-mindedness. Love is not compatible with egoism, just as we don’t use salt for crème brulee. Regrettably, and metaphorically, for the matter of love, this is the wrong thing we have been doing and we may even have added salt into the cup of expresso that comes with the crème brulee.

It is exactly because adulterating love with egoism is intrinsic to our nature that we need to consciously scale down our ego when going about earthly matters, including love, and especially love. Otherwise, be prepared that at the end of winter there may still be no sunshine heaving into sight, be the sun a person or a personal endeavour.

If I can add an effective tip about clipping the ego, I would say, at least mind your words. Very often we infuriate with and are infuriated by words, the remote control to activate our ego. George Eliot put this point cleverly in her Adam Bede, "Examine your words well, and you will find that even when you have no motive to be false, it is a very hard thing to say the exact truth, even about your own immediate feelings -- much harder than to say something fine about them which is not the exact truth." Put it the other way round, show tolerance towards what others are saying. They are probably putting down the words in a way not exactly as what they mean.

Such a flair in intelligently illustrating facts and feelings is what gives me the greatest pleasure of reading. In the same measure, Brian vividly illustrates an inconvenience of aging and his feeling on the prospect of passing away in the ending paragraphs of his guide to old age:

"I require spasms of sleep during the day. I will be sitting in an armchair, perhaps watching television or perhaps reading - at present it is the TLS and John Heilpern's magnificent biography of John Osborne - and I fall asleep. At least, that is what I call it. But, like those unfortunates caught on the wrong side of the Sittang Bridge when it blew, I find myself on the wrong side of consciousness. I have entirely blanked out.
Perhaps I come back to myself after half an hour. I am astonished. And I reflect that a time may come when I blank out for good, there in the armchair, Heilpern's book unfinished on my knee. Be warned, darling! 
This marvellous, unique lifetime will be over. But what an easy way to go ..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4