Skip to main content

I'm Above the Rest

DSC05001L (Sony A55)

It seems that every night when I switch off the camera, go into the bedroom and turn off the lights, what have become the reminiscences of the day in the memory card will start flickering from one electron to another in my head, interspersed with question or exclamation marks about the day’s conversations and observations. This will go on and on as I tuck myself into bed, turn from side to side and look around the faintly discernible whatnots on the side table until my eyelids feel so increasing heavy that the brain automatically comes to a temporary shutdown to put me to sleep.

Then last night when the flickering stopped, I dreamt a dream about a Beijing ren (meaning “person” in Mandarin), a lead waiter in a hotel restaurant to be exact, catching a Caucasian madam red-handed with a bread and an apple on her hand which the lead matron believed to be blatant food smuggling after breakfast. The Caucasian madam was blocked from her way out, given a lecture on the restaurant rules and finally directed by finger-pointing to put back the food to where they belonged. The lead matron made quite a scene of it, and the madam was really crossed from the expression on her face. Embarrassed in front of other patrons, she kept her manners, put back the food and left.

This morning I immediately knew that it was actually a mental caricature of a similar scene took place some eight years ago, which I mentioned to the founder of the HK Cover Magazine at the cocktail party on Monday. That incident happened during my second trip to Beijing, to be followed by two more to add up to four in ten years. During those four visits, I met different people from Chinese officials involved in the WTO entry negotiations, news anchors in the China News Agency, ballet teachers from a renowned capital academy to taxi drivers. From their manner and conversations invariably wafted an omnipresent smell of a patronising quality. It is that they talked and articulated in a way as if they felt themselves a notch above others, above people from outside of the capital and probably above the rest of the world.

Where does this quality come from? Could it be the thinking registered in their DNA that it entitles one to natural superiority for being a native of the great capital of the middle kingdom? On my last trip to Beijing, every piece of negotiated arrangement was changed in the last minute. It seems that when there are more than one party involved in an negotiation with or among the Beijing people, there has to be a single shot-caller calling the shot at will: the "I". The gist is that when a Beijing party or Beijing ren says something is good, it must be the best.

Back to my conversation with the magazine boss. I was asked about the mindset of Beijing’s photographers and the impacts on their works. I replied that honestly I didn't have any personal contacts with a single photographer in Beijing. But from some of the commissioned shots by the Beijing photographers on display, I felt the same sense of "shot-caller  calling the shot at will". While commenting on the topic at the party, I ,to be polite, managed to touch on this lightly and not to pinpoint any shots despite the urge of frankness arising from some glasses of wine gulped into an empty stomach. I don't really know the right words to say my comments, but you can go over there and see for yourself those commissioned shots taken by the Beijing photographers with the Leicas.

Well, well, well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4