Skip to main content

Spick-and-Spin

collate
The GX200 is known for producing film-like images with respect to the coarseness and grains. Which of the these images were shot with the GX200? Check out the answer at the bottom of this post.
Two years ago a friend of mine was appalled by the wedding photos the studio photographers did for her. Her first reaction to the photos was like, "Gosh, why do these photos look so coarse? Those of the other batch were cleaner."
What gives? My diagonsis that she had been digitally poisoned was later proved correct. The photographers replied that the two batches had been done separately with a film and a digital camera.
That was two years ago. How much more widely the illness has spread since then? Well, there are some glitters of hope.
Last week, I ran into two teenagers in a cafe. No later had they sat down than I noticed the curious little silver machines on their table. One was a Leica and the other an Olympus. Both were old mechanical 135-format film cameras. They just made me feel itchy in my heart.
Curiosity caused me to move over to have a little chat with them. On my question why they did not use digital cameras, they said that film cameras offered better fun and produced more tasteful images with an unspeakale visual quality on the printouts. Digital cameras are simply not their cup of tea.
Wow, that can make any nostalgic photographers feel hopeful. In Hong Kong, most photo shops do not accept orders for film developing any more. Film cameras are virtually not in sight on the streets or in the shops. The other day I walked past a rag-and-bone's kiosk, alas, I saw a dozen of them! The situation is absolutely irritating to film camera aficionados.
Digital cameras certainly have many advantages and the film era is surely beyond the point of return. But while the imaging sensors become more capable of producing impeccably clean images, can the camera makers give the user an optional function to make the images look grainy like film ones?
While thinking, I played with my GX200, beaming a silly smile to myself that at least this little piece of machine gives out film-like images. I like it.
(Answer: The centre one and the one to its right were not shot with GX200)

Comments

Rob Leslie said…
The biggest advantage of film is that it can be sent to the lab for all the work to be done. To get the very best from digital requires a little PP work. As a film user who always did his own darkroom work I like this. I still use a bit of film just for the pleasure of using one of my many old cameras, but digital can easily recreate ANY film like look, as long as you are prepeared to put as much time into it as we used to do when developing a film and making a print.
Nevin said…
"...as long as you are prepared to put as much time to it," is very well said, Rob. The argument that making the camera instead of the computer programme do the PP work may not hold up to scrutiny. But from the experience of trying/ using several serious compacts, I now tend to think that adding such features like Film Mode to the camera is ready handy. If I wish to devote the time, I can always shot RAWs and do the PP work later. But, surely, no pain no gain. The PP work certainly gives better results.

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4