Skip to main content

Photography is about Focusing Speed

P1080526 (Medium)^The inside of this stationery store was rather dimly lit as you can guess from the exposure combo. The GF-1 kit zoom lens did okay in locking the focus here. The man is the owner of this store which he inherited from his father.

If a veteran photographer has a state-of-the-art camera fitted with the largest sensor on earth, but the lens has a really sluggish focusing speed, what will happen?

He'll probably be mad about missing most of the shots.

The first impression I had with the GX100, which was the first serious compact I played with, was its slow focusing speed. Well, the slowness was not that slow but slow enough to be discernable to anyone who primarily uses a SLR or DSLR.

P1080525 (Medium)^The plague in black with the name of the shop written in Chinese calligraphy had a smooth surface which, complicated by the dim light, could have inconvenienced the focusing if the lens do not perform well in focusing. The GF-1 with its kit zoom lens took a wee bit longer than a DSLR to lock the focus. But the lag was not significant.

The same can be said more or less on the GX200, G7, G10 and LX3, which I have laid my hands on. It goes without saying that these serious compacts have their own advantages to even out the inconvenience arising from the slow focusing speed. For example, the shallow depth-of-field.

This is why the new MFT and small-size APS-C systems are all the more exciting. Photographers can get the best of both worlds: portability, image quality and focusing speed. To me it is the focusing speed matters most in the equation. Not that the IQ is not as important; it is. But for prints of normal sizes, the 1.7" sensors can cater for our needs regarding IQ, let alone these bigger sensors.

P1080524 (Medium)^The Hero is a household name for harmonica for the older generation. These Hero items was popular back 30 years ago but cannot be easily found now. The reflective glass surface of the display cabinet posed no problem to the GF-1 lenswhich locked the focus quick and easy.

In the GF-1 review, I said that the lenses tended to hunt in low light and close- up shots "like fanatics". A definition of fanatic is "Those who charge even faster forward when the target has been lost". The hunting is not serious by any measure but will not be P1080528 (Medium)expected for the regular lenses for a DSLR. So illustrations above may act as footnotes to my observation.

Ahead of us is the the Samsung NX10, the first small-size APS-C sensor camera with interchangeable lenses. We'd see how well it will perform in the focusing speed.

The NX10 will come with three lenses, a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS, a 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED OIS, and a 30mm f/2. Photographers are also musing on the optical quality of these lenses of Samsung which is far from being an opticial expert. Panasonic wasn't a camera maker from day one, right? We shall wait and see.

« Hing Wah Stationery Shop has seen the changes of Hong Kong for over half a century. This billboard has been used since its first opening.

Comments

Rob Leslie said…
I believe you have made a very good point about focus and it confirms my own (Personal) reason why I would not buy the GF1.
As a compact small sensor user and a DSLR user I can’t see what it can offer Me.
With the kit lens it isn’t small and when used with an adaptor for other lenses one has to manually focus on a rear LCD screen. This can be done I tried it on my friends but God it is slow. I now lust for a Samsung NX10, but just a moment I am a Pentax DSLR user and have loads of Pentax lenses and the NX10 when fitted with a K mount adaptor is going to be the same size as a Pentax K-x? What do I want a NX10 for? Why would I buy a camera that won’t AF with my Pentax lenses? Am I mad, Yes I would be if I bought one!
I await the time in the near future (I hope) that we can have a 4/3 sensor or even a 2/3 inch sensor in a reasonably priced pocket camera with a useful fixed zoom lens. I may be an old stick in the mud but I will stay with DSLRs that can use the lenses I have collected over the years, spent good money on and love to use some old like the f1.4 50mm Super Takumar and others new like the Sigma 10-20mm.
We may all want a new camera or at least plan to have one in the future but I don’t want to buy a complete new system or carry yet another outfit around.
PS Panasonic have made pro spec video cameras for many years so were well up to date with the electronics etc.
Nevin said…
Rob, thank you for the insightful comments and the tips about Pany.

For this first generation of larger-sensor-in-a-smaller-body newbies, there are going to be lots of doubts about'em. As the Co-editor put in the NX10 post, for one thing, we all need'em to be made truly compact, which will take some years to materialise IMO. These newbies are kind of stepping stones for the makers and users alike onto the next level.

It is very wise to point out the K-x. It is already small and light enough for photographers, which doesn't outweigh the newbies much yet carries the full fun of the established DSLR system. I like it too (but not the choices of colour for the body really).

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4