Skip to main content

So, a Crush for your Old Cameras still?

F1640012 (Large) (Medium)^These birds were as big as half an adult's height.  Well, it depends on how high you are.  All images in this post are film photos. 
 
Maybe I shall be as wise as Marco who, in his comment yesterday, revealed that his GX200 would be sold. I am still keeping two GX200, and even my decade-old Minolta Dynax 7 and, believe or not, the dead body (well, it doesn't function anymore) of my Minolta Dynax 7000i plus a P&S Oly film mju-zoom camera.
  
F1640010 (Large) (Medium)
 
Can you recall the crush for such old flames when you first caught sight of them seemingly with a halo overhead inside the shop windows?

And if you have many old cameras, it was "lust" not just "crush".
 

F1640003 (Large) (Medium)^I like the serene view of this boardwalk over a pond.

Want a cure to mitigate your insatisfiable photographic libido which get you in a downward spiral of dire need of money?

It is time to revive your old flames. Give them a hug (not with force or the battery compartment flip may fall out) and give them a clean-up as in the first days when you both met. Then, bring them (one at a time) out for a date.
 
F1640017 (Large) (Medium) 
So I brought mine, the Dynax 7  to the Mai Po Marshes which is a nature reserve under the World Wild Fund for Nature (Didn't I say that Hong Kong is not just a city for business?). The reserve restricts access by the general public except for participants of the guided tour at a cost.

F1640018 (Large) (Medium)^The fast focusing of the camera allowed me to snap this tiny bird perched briefly on the fallen bough and flew away in the next second. 
 
Although the tour is primary for bird watching, for which the staff can lend you monocular and binoculars of high-magnification power, it is worthy of a photographic trip or even just chilling-out from the crazy rat-racing world.
 

F1640007 (Large) (Medium)

F1640009 (Large) (Medium)
 
I certainly made sure that it was worthy of all three of the purposes.

The Minolta Dynax 7 with the lenses and the flashgun slowed me down  bit after some time walking around and climbing up and down for photos, which is the downside of heavy, regular photographic gear. The saving grace was that I once again enjoyed the joy of the past when I first used it. Suddenly, I was like being stripped of the desire for any new cameras.

F1640014 (Large) (Medium)
Actually, I felt myself a class above using a film SLR while the others kept checking out the LCD screens of their DSLRs as if they weren't sure about any of the shots. No wonder I could stay more focused on composing and doing every shots.
 
F1640013 (Large) (Medium)
Things became simpler. A good scene, compose, expose and shot. What a refined joy of photography without keeping thinking about the camera per se!

F1640021 (Large) (Medium)

Comments

Rob Leslie said…
I still have many of my favourite cameras. They hold fond memories.
To list just a few.
Ricoh 500G bought in 1979. Pentax ME Super, Nikon EM, Olympus XA, Fuji HDM.
All those have been well used over the years. Despite shooting with many much high grade models they were favorites.
I loved the simple light weight Nikon EM even though I had a F2, F3 and F100. For some reson I prefered the Penatx ME to the MX and later LX.
My oldest camera which I love the most is my Pentax SL bought new in 1968. It must have taken at least 100.000+ exposures but it still works and I still use the f1.8 55mm lens on my digital Pentax DSLRs. I even take the old SL out and take a few shots but I don't bother to put a film in it these days!
Nevin said…
An admirable collection!

Mechanical devices stand the test of time better than the electronic ones. I'd say that 40 years from now not many of today's digital cameras will function as well as your old mechanical gems.

My uncle had spent a fortune (he's young with no money then)in the Nikon F2 system. Unfortunately, the body, lenses and flashgun and all the related paraphernalia have been stored too long too improperly that they go a bit mouldy now.

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4