Skip to main content

Oldness Makes You Ponder

R0010940 (Medium) ^ The statue replicas featuring Roman emperors atop the Roman Bath

In a city with so many things from the days of yore, one tends to be nostalgic and philosophical about life which will reflect in the photos taken.

R0010941 (Medium)The lure of old things lies in their connection to the past, the days when people led a primitive life. The ways they acted and thought are reflected in the relics having stood the test of time. Where I touched and walked and watched could be the places some ancient poets and generals did the same.

« The Roman Bath

The captivating thought is those people died a long time ago and the present-day me will not be missed by the visitors coming here some hundreds of years later. By then, I will be a part of the history, long gone, a past tense.

R0017731 (Medium)^The intriguing roof patterns of the Bath Abbey

This thought perplexed me further when I wandered inside the Bath Abbey, looking at the tombs of different descriptions.

R0017757 (Medium)

I walked past a tomb which a husband made for his dead wife. The epitaph wrote briefly the bereavement haunting him. But the sad feelings of her death and his were blown away by the breeze in the corridor of history. R0017744 (Medium)^Issac Pitman was the man who invented Pitman shorthand.

The man who died with the most toys is still dead, so goes the common saying.

R0017743 (Medium)^The tomb of a high priest leading the Bath Abbey some hundreds of years ago.

What am I to leave in this world? So went the question across my mind.

R0017753 (Medium)

R0017751 (Medium)Tomorrow, will anyone notice that Nevin had been in Bath? Does anyone notice that I am here in Bath? Will my next generation miss me? What am I going to leave to them? These questions kept popping up for which I had not the slightest clue. The best answer I could think of was my good deeds. I can help. Helping others does not really require any money. Helping others is one of the few things before which all people are equal. Another similar thing is death.

I can comfort the people around me when they are in need. I can give them a hand when they want one. I can, if you believe in prayers, pray for them when all I can do is praying. I can do by example and these stories of good deeds can be passed on.

R0017842 (Medium)^River Avon and the meadows stretching from the bank to the hill sitting afar

If history is a river, a life is a drop of water in it. The river keeps flowing and our chance of staying at any one spot any longer is zero. But the beauty of a river is in its flowing.

R0010989 (Medium)

So, our life will continue to unfold in a way as always. And when our last day come to pass, we are to be dead man no matter how many photos we have taken, places we have been to, money we have made, etc, etc.

R0010980 (Medium)

^A stone bridge across the River Avon

It's time to figure out what we are going to do in the even decreasing days we have on earth. Incidentally, it's also time to reflect on this UK trip of mine which is nearing a close.

Comments

Tony said…
I enjoyed those shots. They reflect you are a visitor seeing these things with fresh eyes. Seeing them in BW is refreshing.
Nevin said…
Thank you for your kind words, Tony. Embarrassingly, the photos are most in colour which will be revealed in a pop-up windows by a click on the photos.

It is always gratifying to know someone enjoy the photos.

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4