Skip to main content

Photographing Multiculturalism

R0018066 (Medium)^A future biological scientist as she introduced herself to me when I asked for her permission to photograph her.  I didn't seek her out but she was just sitting across the table and I was with my cameras.  She was photogenic and I didn't have a choice, did I?

The going-around asking people for photos goes on.  R0018065 (Medium)In reviewing the photos and from what I've learned during my stay here, I was struck by one thing interesting about the UK.

As compared to the US, UK isn't a really multicultural nation.  Far from it.  Out of the national population, there is around 95% white people.  BUT (this "but" is ubiquitous in conversations among the Brits)  I have the impression that the perennial talk of the nation is whether the minority would be a threat being so sponsored in welfare and competitive in employment.

Now if you are from another country and wish to be a British national, you'll have to meet a whole array of criteria.  Among them, the candidate has to pass a Britishness test.

R0017987 (Medium)^An Asian holding a senior position over his white subordinates

Basically, the test is about the multi-facets of things you've got to know about Britain, ranging from the birthday of the Queen and the conditions under which the customers are allowed to return a kettle!

I am not aware of any similar test in any other country on such a national scale for immigrants.  What has gone wrong about this country really?

What purpose does such a test serve?  I mean, people having passed the test and got the UK national status would probably live on their own way.  They will never integrate into a society and culture because of a test.

We are sane here, aren't we?  Does the fear of other nationals immigrating into the country have a bearing on this test coming into being?

 R0018021 (Medium)^Two youngsters I met in a park not attending school and wandering around with their friends.  I went up and asked if I could shot photos of them.

BUT (I'm quite adjusted to this now) I walked around the two universities around, the Coventry Uni and more famous Warwick Uni.  And I was somewhat inspired by what I saw.

I saw more Asians and Chinese students in the campuses than did the white ones.  It could be a wrong impression BUT I was like having heard more people speaking languages other than English in the campuses.

R0018022 (Medium)

Are more Asian and Chinese students doing better academically here and then getting better jobs?  The picture can be clearer if I keep digging in this subject.  Unfortunately, I have photos to take.  And the subject is to be left to sociologists and politicians.

As for me, the right way could be mixing cultural integration with economic success.  Money drives.  The Brits are not quite Americans.  The American way works though.

Gordon, think about that.

R0018023 (Medium)^For the last shot, I suggested them to pose.  This is what they came up with.

Comments

Rob Leslie said…
Interesting to read your observations on English social culture.
Britain has always been a very bigoted narrow minded singular country and still is.
The causes of this bigotry are deeply rooted and no Government has ever done anything to help, in fact the bigotry, fear and ignorance is too their advantage. It is preferable to pamper too and encourage fears from outside sources rather than tackle difficult domestic problems and improve the average person’s life.
I was born in England and my past generations were, but I have worked and lived in Spain and Holland for a few years so consider I have seen alternatives.
I was born in 1950 and have seen our industry vanish and strangely our pride and bigotry grow. The English still regard the country as ‘The best in the World’ and a World power (joke) most are still happy to sit back (Particularly our leadership) and wallow in that fantasy. I’m pleased I won’t see the next 50 years!
In truth Britain now produces nothing and contributes little to anything.
At one time Britain was called the sick man of Europe and nothing has changed.
Of course the British are resentful of ‘Foreigners’ jobs ranging from Cleaners to Higher Managers are being taken by them. Many if not most successful businesses from the corner shop to Car Manufacturing are owned by them. Even our Football teams are being taken over by them.
Whose fault is that?
It seems many British people don’t have the sense or are not provided with factual information to work this out.
If foreign workers, investors and immigration were stopped the country would collapse.
If you wish to do a light hearted study of English social culture read the Sun and Mirror Newspaper.
It has taken Britain hundreds of years to achieve this state and by examples we see today I doubt it will be cured in the next 100 years or so!
Nevin said…
Rod,
Thank you for the insightful and interesting comments on the subject. I have been reading the online Guardian quite regularly. Sure, the GREAT Britain cannot live or thrive on the great past. London is doing pretty good business though. But the UK is much bigger than London.

I met some Brits in the management level here. They were quite intelligent but not equally smart in the working context. The problem is they still patronise non-whites deep down in their bones even though equality is a core value here.

Or am I mistaken?

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).