Skip to main content

A Matter of Choice

(Continue from yesterday's post)

R0016793 (Medium)

Well, did I succeed? I wandered around the children's section the size of a football pitch and noticed a small girl in a halter top reading a comic book. As the time-tested popular draws in any image are repetitive patterns and symmetry, what intrigued me for the scene was, besides the back of the little girl, the patterns repeated by the books. The colours look pleasant and conforming too.

But without a frontal glimpse of the subject, the shot lacks punch. The image cannot reflect any unique aspect of the theme Readers Reading, which I knew in the next second and therefore moved on.

R0016801 (Medium)

Then I came across two young readers sitting on the floor reading. I am not a feet fetishist but the curves of the four skinny legs simply held my interest. But how could I relay the image to the theme? I tested a shot including only the young chaps and the shelf behind them in the image. (Later on, I experimented the same for the two adutls behind the book shelf.) But that was too casual a shot. And the two readers looked confined in space, certainly not an interesting aspect of reading.

So I retracted the lens back to include in the shot the two standing adult readers and a more extensive background. The image somehow has an atmosphere about readers being engrossed in reading. The information is richer; young readers, mature readers, reading in different positions, the setting of a bookstore. But the problem is, there is too much information in the image.

R0016806 (Medium)

By this time, I almost called off the bookstore shootout. The one last shot was back to step one: making use of repeative patterns in an image. So I came up with the last photo with three girls sitting in a near-triangular space formed by three bookselves. The outcome is interesting but far from a choice for a photo contest.

R0016809 (Medium)

So photography is an activity charcterised by choices from the moment you think up a theme to when you sieve through the photo for the keepers.

Back to the photo contest. As far as my experience goes, the winning images in most photographic competitions are coincidentially chosen for some similarly distinctive features: they reproduce the gist of an interesting aspect related to the theme with a crisp compostion and the truly essential information. Of course, the light has to be right. So, I ended up with not a good photo from my bookstore adventure. It was then an old image flashed across my mind, which somehow conforms to those distinctive features.

I titled it "The Curious Heads of Reading" (below) and submitted it to the Ricohforum.com photo contest for July.

R0013568%20(Medium)

(Postscript: Of course, the fellow contestants hae produced a lot of great works too. Any one of us can win. But if you think that mine is worthy of your vote, the voting will take place on 1 August for seven days. The voting thread will show here in due course. Thank you in advance for your vote :) .)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4