Skip to main content

Bless You

R0012855 (Small)
(Bless You: The two disoriented tourists were finding their way. I came across them, pre-focused and waited for this decisive moment to arise. The image in the poster seems to be blessing the lost men. And the baffled facial expression and his body language added a sense of contrast in the photo)

Yesterday, I gave a tip on backing up data from your blog with Blogspot. Unless you believe in blessing or luck, it is advisable for Google users to back up their data with other Google's online applications. Here are some more tips:

Using Gmail? Forward your important e-mail to another address.

If you saved your documents in Google Docs, you may find Syncplicity useful for directing them to your vault.

Some people rely on Google Calendar for reminding them of daily events. If you're one of them, try synchronising Google Calendar with your Microsoft Outlook Calendar.

This is important for photographers if you store photos to Google's online Picasa Web Albums: back up your photos by going to "Tools" and then click on "Backup Pictures." As an aside, don't post your photos to Facebook. If you are not aware of it, Facebook may still revise its terms of use to the similar effect of its previous controversial amendments, which stipulates that it owns the rights of your photos even if you cancel your Facebook account.

Now, if you use Google Reader, find "Manage subscriptions" in the lower left corner and click on it, after which click on "Import/Export" and then on "Export your subscriptions as an OPML file".

For your iGoogle homepage, back up the settings in iGoogle Settings by click on "Export iGoogle settings to your computer". It will produce an XML file containing the data for restoring your iGoogle account in case of need.

I hope these tips are useful to you. Surely, there are those like some disoriented tourists being more conservative in trusting other people's tips for directions. Use my tips as you please.

Talking about disoriented tourists, I have a habit of helping whoever of them I come across on the street. Most would welcome the help, with the more adpet travellers politely refusing any advice. Asking for the rihgt directions on a foreign land require tremendous good judgement from you. You know, for unknown reasons, people tend to give you contradictory advices for the same destination for which you ask for the direction. So, on top of the confusing map, you have to judge the mixed counsels while say something polite even when you are skeptical.

Once I met a very skeptical lady with her teenage children stopping by a road junction and looking up a map. I offered her help.

"We are going to the harbour," the lady said, "Shall we go that way?"

Since she was pointing to exactly the opposite direction, I shook my head and said, "Lady, you would be going the wrong way in that case. The harbour is on the other direction."

She was extremely puzzled and frowned to me, "Are you sure? The map says the other way," her voice sounded really doubtful of me.

"Are you a local?" was her next question for me. I was quite surprised and a bit offended to hear it.

"Lady, I have been leaving here all of my life and that has been quite long," I said emphatically, which maybe I shouldn't, and pointed to the sky, "Look, the sun is setting on the diection which is the West. The East is on your back."

She looked at the sky and I went on, "So, you know that the South is on your left hand side and the north on the right. The harbour is by the southern Kowloon which is where I pointed the way to you."

Maybe she said thank you but I didn't quite hear it. She is a rare case, I can swear in my honour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4