Skip to main content

Meet-up of the Three Musketeers

R0012709 (Large) (Very, very busy hands with three great cameras in one go)

The three inseparable friends in The Three Musketeers, a novel by Alexandre Dumas, live by a well-known motto, “One for all, all for one”. Last Saturday, I managed to arrange a meetup in my citadel for the three modern musketeers (LX3, G10 and GX200). A variant version of the motto sprang to mind, “One camera for all purpose, all great features for one camera”.

Before the meetup, I had a shootout with both the LX3 and the GX200. Then I returned home and played with the G10. I had actually played with the LX3 and the G10 before. But this was the first time I could sit down, compare notes with the users and feel the differences of the three in real time.

R0012562 (Small)(Focused: I walked behind the lady and, noticing the captivating gaze of the little girl, turned on my GX200 to MY2 which is set to MF at less than 1m and shot)

The Focus

This post is not going to compare the photos and give a review. There are already enough of them. I am more interested in writing about the strengths of the three for integrating into one dream serious compact which will sell like hotcakes. I will concentrate mostly on the egronomics and focusing speed because it is my belief that all serious compacts give comparable image quality. What make the final image differ are the users’ photographic skill, personal taste and the techniques in post processing. As regards photographic skill, for even someone adept at photography, a shot can make or break because of the egronmics and focusing speed of a camera.

The Strengths

First, the LX3. For its sturdy build and glossy finish, the LX3 looks more classy. Interestingly, its lens cap is also of higher quality as compared with the GX200. Unlike the lens in GX200 which feels wobbly, the LX3’s lens is perfectly in place. Probably for the brand name effect, the Leica lens gives me a sense of “Everything is under control” (in fact, its distortion control fares not as good as GX200’s). It goes without saying that the F2.0 lens is a gem which gave me a wider elbowroom to push up the shutter speed during the shootout.

R0012711 (Large) Second, the G10. Since I tried the G10 months ago, I have suspected that it is actually Intel Inside. Otherwise, there is no reason to explain why its AF is lightning fast. Honestly, the implementation of Digic 4 works so well that the G10 feels like a DSLR in focusing speed. Not missing a great shot when it arises is important for the survival of photographers. The G10 scores full marks here. The LX3 has a little slower AF speed (but I suspect that its AF mode implements something similar to a snap focus) and the GX200 lags behind save its snap focus mode. It is a nice idea to put the optical viewfinder on the body for emergency use. An add-on viewfinder costs too dearly and defeats the protability of a compact. Lastly, although the 28mm gives me a wistful feeling at the short end, I found the long-end focal length of the G10 desirable for a compact.

Now, the GX200. As always, being a GX200 user, I can be leaning towards it in my comments. But, really, the other users were amazed by the light weight of the GX200 when they held it on their palm. That is what a compact is meant for in the first place: lightness. For lightness, the LX3 ranks second and the G10 third. As an aside, I cannot bring myself to like the heavy weight and appearance of G10. It is certainly my prejudice that the G10 looks too intimidating and obstentious (not the users, please). For its heft, the G10 is almost out of the range of compact. Also, the protruding lens of the LX3 adds an unnecessary dimension to its size.

A line-up of the three clearly showed why the GX200 won the international design awards. The GX200 is the smallest in size and the lightest in weight, doning a modest exterior which gives the user almost instant access to different functions and settings. The LX3 and the G10 have lots of buttons on the outside, which is right for a DSLR. However, the buttons on the LX3 are rather confusing and those on the G10 could be overkill. It is no doubt that the bottons give fast access to various functions. But the buttons are not big enough to be comfortable for users. Take for example the focus mode button of the LX3 on the lens and the ISO dial of the G10, I had to look at the buttons to fumble for the right setting. I also noticed that the function dial on the LX3 lacked the “clutching”, resulting in an error when the dial was not turned to the exact point of the desired function. This has never happened to the GX200.

R0011425 (Large)(Three in One: The cosmic line-up of the three planets. This photo may as well illustrate the usefulness of bringing along a mini tripod with me, without which this photo could not be made. I took this on a safety island with the GX200 set on the mini tripod atop the pedestrian signal light. The passers-by were curious about what I in all my seriousness was doing in the middle of the road with such a tiny camera at night)

The 3-in-1 Dream Compact

If you are a LX3 or G10 owner but have not tried the GX200 or the GRDII, you must wonder if my comments about the tangible buttons are fair. If that is the case, you should try either of them for Ricoh’s implementation of the dial/ rocker, the Fn buttons, the customisable quick menu and especially the M mode to make your own conclusion. The G10’s dial for exposure adjustments is close, but not as good in my opinion. A point of note is that the LX3’s round rocker (for accessing the exposure adjustments and quick access menu) was a pain to use, literally hurting my big thumb.

So, the “One for all, all for one” compact should boost the sturdy build and fast lens (minus the barrel distortion) of the LX3, the rapid focusing speed and useful long-end focal length of the G10, the unassuming design of the GX200 plus its fastastic egronomics.

Comments

ch said…
Hi,nice article, but strong poison.

I had one Lx3 for 2 months, and then sold it for G10. I have to say your observation of the control of LX3 is quite similar to mine, I too find the mode dial not firm enough, and the joystick being a source of annoyance...
G10 is too big to be carried like GX200, and I hear a lot of praise about its control, I seriously planned to buy a gx200 before I knew it sells @ 900+ Singapore dollars...I only hope it can be sold at the price of lx3 (around 650)

One point of correction...the lx3 has a leica lens, not zeiss one.
The lens itself has quite huge distortion...
Nevin said…
Thank you, Ch. Correction made. It must be the effect of a day's hardwork.

The price of GX200 has dropped to around S$650. But you've to know your way for the bargain price. The G10 was bought for about S$760 with a Canon leather bag (which can be screwed to the camera) + the usual freebies like a 8GB Class 6 SD card, in case you wish to know.

Good luck for a cheaper GX200. It's a joy to use and the best balance of everything for a compact so far IMO.
Same here, I really dun like the 4 ways control stick with the Quick (so called!!) Menu.

It feels like a mobile phone or game console. Even though with such a attractive F2.0 lens and noise processing ability, I think I will not be able to capture valuable moment all along, if the control is so bad.

Again, G10's size is another issue, why dun we just go for OLYMPUS E420 ?

Therefore, I myself is also a GX200 rookie, since Jan 09.
Nevin said…
Hi, Cosmic Man, welcome here.

You are very right in saying that the LX3 control feels like a mobile phone's. Honestly, for its fast lens, I would suggest it to tyros who is slower in deciding the right shooting moment anyway and learns usually with the A or S mode (using the LX3 for M mode is painful because of the round rocker). Otherwise, the GX200 is a very good choice.

The G10's size could be an issue for compact lovers to carry it around. It is heavy too.

Glad to hear that you've got yourself a GX200! Take more great pictures!

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4