Skip to main content

Review of GX200 by Wouter Brandsma #1 of 3


chi version (GX200 Impression 1)done
(按:這是GX200評測第一部分)
(Note: The text and photos below are published by courtesy and with copyright of the original author, Wouter Brandsma. The copyrighted Chinese translation is done by Nevin. Permission is required for use.)


Ricoh GX200, f2.9, 1/80 sec, 35mm equivalent, ISO 100, -0.7 EV (B&W jpeg edited in Adobe Lightroom)

Late August I posted my first initial impressions of the Ricoh GX200. Being enthusiastic about the previous GX100, and the handling of the GX200 prior to my writing, I was somewhat disappointed by the quality of the GX200 RAW files. I had used the camera for a few weeks after receiving it without being able to review the photographs. When I viewed the photographs large on screen the first time I noticed I could not process the photographs the way I used and wanted to do. The editing resulted in more unintended noise, and I missed the byte. The following months I kept using the camera, changed in-camera settings, experimented with under- and overexposing, and had a relook at my image processing in Adobe Lightroom (or other applications) to improve the quality of the images.

And I can say that I have changed my initial thoughts about the GX200. I will explain how I have experimented with the camera and processing software to change my mind. Therefore I will describe a few important items that matters to me when it comes to a camera (though understand that every item is my personal opinion and the readers opinion may and can certainly differ). The three most important items are:

  • Camera handling
  • The images
  • And appropriate workflow

Camera handling

In my first initial impressions I described some of the improvements to the previous model, the GX100. Probably most noticeable is the larger LCD screen with more pixels. As a result the screen is much sharper and works pleasantly. It remains a bright and clear screen that is very useful at bright sunshine. The addition of the third MY setting and an extra function button are welcome new features too. With the GX100 I had assigned the AE option to the function button, but I had to use my left hand to press that button. Now I have the AE option assigned to the second function button, and I can change the most important settings with my right hand. The first function button is not assigned to ISO, so when I want to change the ISO value I can access that menu with a single button.


Ricoh GX200, f4.3, 1/440 sec, 28mm equivalent, ISO 100, -0.3 EV (DNG edited in Adobe Lightroom)

The shape and grip of the GX200 haven’t changed, but there was really no need to in my opinion. The camera is slightly larger than the Ricoh GR Digital II, but significantly smaller than the Canon Powershot G9 and G10. The camera really has the appearance of a serious camera with a nice black finish.

The camera comes standard with a removable lens cap. Some people, me included, do sometimes forget to remove it when switched on. Thankfully the screens displays a warning. And for those interested, Ricoh supplies a handy pizza like lens cap.

The most significant improvement of the GX200 are the writing times when shooting RAW. It is fast and nimble, and there is basically no hesitation to not shoot RAW with this camera. It now even can shoot 1:1 RAW (requested by many)! Ricoh also added flash compensation to the GX200 which works perfectly in my opinion.

I personally think that Ricoh listened really well to their Ricoh GX100 users, and last year reviewers. Many of the changes on the camera are related to the handling and were requested on many forums and in reviews. What remained is an excellent, easy, comfortable, and most definitely fast compact camera that fits within a niche market. The camera has some unique features unrivaled by its competition, like the step zoom, the three recorded settings, the clear and user-friendly LCD screen and user interface.


Ricoh GX200, f4.3, 1/1400 sec, 28mm equivalent, ISO 100, -0.3 EV (B&W jpeg edited in Adobe Lightroom)

--> To Parts Two, Three

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4