Skip to main content

GX200: A SLR User's Verdict (Review 3 of 3)

R0012432 (Small)

The lens

The GX200’s lens has a very useful focal length of 24mm 72mm F/2.5 to 4.4. In terms of portability, and somewhat in speed, it is superior than my Minolta 24mm to 105mm F/3.5-4.5 (i.e. Sony SAL24105). It is proved in numerous online reviews that the GX200’s lens have suffered from only mild barrel distortion. Surely, for edge to edge sharpness, the proper Minolta lens is the winner. In a nutshell, GX200’s lens covers a useful range for landscape to portrait with an agreeable quality. I do not miss carrying about extra pounds of lens and the film camera for some extra image quality really.

The only lament I have for the lens is that it requires optional accessories to be able to put on filters (The GX200 has the handy colour tone function which works like colour filters though). I used the filters a lot with the Minolta lens. Unless I am ready to invest in a compact camera system, I do without the filters with the GX200 for the moment. But, again, in most cases, some extra time and effort in post processing can do similar tricks as if with filters.

R0012425 (Small)

Coveat Emptor

Compact cameras like the GX200 are versatile but is not invincible. There are some caveats about the GX200 as compared with my film SLR:

1) Unlike the G10 and LX3, the GX200 has no shutter priority mode. Although this can be worked around by using the M mode to adjust the shutter speed, this causes inconvinence in, say, syncing the flash to a desired shutter speed.

2) Depending on the aperture value, some shutter speed may not be available.

3) The auto-focusing speed is undesirably slow, obviously slower than with LX3 and G10. It is always possible to pre-focus. But when I played with the LX3 and G10, I wondered if pre-focusing was really necessary.

4) As compared with my Dynax 7, the GX200’s auto-focusing fails more easily for less contrasty subjects under brighter light (even though the subjects are surely contrasty enough for the Dynax 7).

5)This is with all good digital cameras: I have been taking more photos than I have ever imagined. It takes me more time to categorise and file them.

R0012265 (Small)

Closing Remarks

I like the GX200 for its great controls and the very useful focal coverage. It wins my heart over other comparable cameras primarily for its superb ergonomics. The light weight makes it a more preferable companion than a hefty SLR / DSLR. It has afforded me freer and less expensive possibilities to practise my creativity in photography, shooting photos of themes that I might not have tried with films. It has allowed me to enjoy my trips as a holiday-maker as much as a photographer.

That said, as a SLR user, I am neither content with a compact without a bright viewfinder, the possibility to use different lens without optional add-ons nor, at least for GX200, the slow auto-focusing speed. That was one of the reasons why I borrowed a 450D to play with some weeks ago just to compare, especially for some proper DSLR’s IQ at high ISOs.

Having used the GX200 for six months, I am more and more into the belief that DSLRs are to drift towards the small size of serious compacts, or, the other way round, the serious compacts should drift towards the sensor size of DSLRs. Exchangeable lens may not be necessary if I can be benefited from the portability of two compacts with a APS-sized sensor or larger, one on a 24mm to 72mm lens and another on a 75mm to 300mm. The wide angel lens should be as fast as from F2.0 up and the long focal ones from F3.5 up.

My last remark is that the next time I buy a camera, it would very likely be a lightweight DSLR unless a compact with the performance of a DSLR emerges then. For the time being, the GX200 will still be popular with me on the dance floor, being envied by the wallflower Dynax 7 I am afraid.

If you're interested to learn more about GX200, read here.  The following are some of the photos taken with GX200 and posted on GX Garnerings.

R0010467 (Large) (Small)

 R0010324 (Large)

R0010543(Custom)

 sex_sign[16]

R0010967 (Medium)

R0011391 (Medium)

R0011054 (Large) 

R0010517 (Medium)

 marco_portrait (Medium)

R0011725 (Medium)

colour_clouds

 R0011125 (Medium)

 To Parts One, Two <---

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4