Skip to main content

Is that a Bird? A Superman? It's a Plane!

(Click the picture for the colour photo)
Ricoh GX200 is a great camera. I take it with me everyday, hanging it around my neck with a neckstrap and slipping into my skirt pocket. As my workplace is so close by that I walk to the office and on the way, I have taken tons of photos. One of my secrets about GX200 is to customise the snapshot mode to M1 so that I can go for a quick shot when a scene arises. Thanks to the snapshot mode which sort of pre-focuses already.
It is autumn in Hong Kong. And if you are an observant photographer and live in a place not far away from the equator, you already know that autumn is the best season for photography because the sun is at the right angle to bring out most of the colours we can see. In Southern Australia, it would be like taking pictures on a late afternoon at the tail end of winter (late August), which I did when in Melbourne having a spin in an old man's car. It is also like taking pictures half an hour before sunset when the sun is at that right angle to spray colours all around.
Autumn is also the best season to travel to Hong Kong. The temperture is a constant 20 degree centigrade with light breeze. The sky is brilliantly blue as this is the season when the sea breezes blow away the pollutants drifting from China.
The snapshot mode of GX200 has given me a full play for my planecreativity as a photographer. Look, this photo was captured when I was about to cross the road in a second, looked up the sky and saw the plane, grabbed the GX200 in my shirt pocket, turned it on and shot in two or three second later. It was lightening fast!
Just in case you are interested, my M1 settings are:
Focus: Snap
Aperture: three stop from the widest end
Image Setting: Auto Levels
Fn1: White Balance Compensation (i.e. the function that lets me change the colours cast of my shot). It actually offers you a whole array of colour filters
Fn2: Auto Exposure Lock

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tips on slipping GX200 in your shirt pocket:

1)If you sweat a lot, or live in a place with an extreme weather, DON"T.

2)When you walk under places where water drips may drop right down, cover your pocket with your palm.

3)Make sure that your shirt pocket is not like a dust bin.

AND

4)As a rule of thumb, blow your GX200 with a camera dust blower every time after use.

5)If you have a lot of photographic tools but haven't got a proper dry place to store'em, buy an electronically powered dry cabinet. Those mini-dehumifiers for plastic box aren't reliable.

6)And refrain from putting paper or cotton materials in the dry cabinet cos they absorb and release moisture easily.

Nevin

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4