Skip to main content

In the Rain

R0011397(Ricoh GX200)

It is turning cold and wet in Hong Kong. I usually bring along the GX200 mounted with the wide converter in such a weather as the raindrops will less likely get into the lens barrel while I shoot in the street. If you wonder, the blurry background is not a result of extravagant cook-up from post-processing even though the primary subject has been sharpened and warmed up a bit. The technique to bring about a blurry background and a comparatively sharper primary subject in the final image is actually an old trick, which resembles achieving the swirling visual effect by way of slightly zooming the lens while pressing the shutter release. But instead of zooming the lens which is impossible on a camera like the GX200, one just needs to set the shutter speed barely lower than the safe value (and turn off the anti-shake), and push forward the camera gently while snapping the shot. Then, just try and err to find the best result you wish. Mind that this trick best suits a static primary subject, especially if it is less well-lit than a brighter background.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.