Skip to main content

Stepping Up

L1000212L (Leica X1)

Not long ago I sold my old Minolta Dynax/ Maxxum 5 which was claimed to be the lightest electronic SLR ever built. Before selling it, I tested it a bit to be sure and was thrilled to find how the AF was as fast as accurate. Once at the price range of intermediate cameras which was about the asking price for a higher end P&Ss these days, the Dynax 5 exceeds, as far as my experience goes, the 600D in handling and is on a par of the A77 in AF speed. It has only one wheel but with the toggle button nicely placed to the left of the lens mount position, the shift between aperture and shutter speed controls is speedy. That this design is not seen in the present-day DSLRs is probably more because of the internal construction than a matter of inattention. But the package overall is now seen only at the higher-end models. Of course, the DSLR can be said to be more a black box. 

While technology has been stepped up greatly, the preponderance of technology over traditional wisdom may have as well caused us to throw away the baby with the water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.