Skip to main content

In Deep Thoughts

L1000211L (Leica X1)

After almost a month with the Leica D-lux 5, it is high time for me to retreat and write some user's impressions about it. I worked with the LX3 before but didn't really spend the same length of time with that one.  While the key layouts and menu factors have not changed much, using the 5 for this longer period gives me a new dimension about how well the implementation is. For that matter, I just compared them last night and still believed that after the last few years, the GX200 still trumps the LX/ D-lux series. But the 5 is such an endearing little camera, and with the enticing magical red logo, I am very inclined to keep it. 

Will this overlap my GX200? Yes and no. Yes because I have two GX200 -- one in "original flavour" and the other always fitted with the wide/ long-range converter. I brought both on a few overseas trips which proved to work well to not miss a shot, unless when the lighting situations were no good for the GX200 due to its less favourable high ISO performance.

The 5 is not a new camera.  But the price has dropped a bit.  It is still not cheap. BUT compared to when I got my GX200, it is not exceptionally expensive either if one factor in the inclusion of the LR3. And, honestly or just being silly, there is the red dot. So, in case you are contemplating a second-hand 5 or even a LX5, stay tuned. Anyway, time to find some time to write the impressions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.