Skip to main content

3:2 4:3 16:9 < 1:1

R1230135 (Medium)New buildings versus old buildings; a road jam-packed with Euro-standard compliant double-decker bus; the UK-style traffic light; bamboo scaffolds; a Chinese oldie reading newspaper on the street -- these factors conspire to represent one thing: Hongkongness.

Of all the image formats, the one-to-one, or also 6-by-6 for that matter, format is the most unique in its own way. Owing to its confined space, it is not intended in any way for landscape works or whatever shots which require a wide view. But that is only one side of the coin. This special image format is actually tailored for certain effect.

Since the framed space is crampy, the 1:1 format is best for accentuating the subject or whatever images which highlight a sense of compression, like the typical sight of Hong Kong's crowded city scene. The 1:1 format can fake in the final image a compressed depth of field as done with a zoom lens like in the picture here. I like this picture for the rich cultural references given by the elements, as well as for the sense of depth/ compression.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.