Skip to main content

Of Cour$e

_SAM2537 (Medium) The competition among the camera makers participating in the serious compact market has become keener.  I just learnt that some local retailers selling are willing to sell the GF-1 plus pancake set (distributor's merchandise) at the regular price while buying back the pancake at its original price, making the GF-1 body cost as low as a point-and-shoot DC.  The amount is roughly HK$3,200 (about UK£ 300 or US$ 420).

Such a low price can effectively make the user forgive the camera for some of its weaknesses like the problematic focusing issue.  Here I was using the NX10 with the long zoom lens on, repeatedly trying to lock the focus of the bike moving some 10 metres ahead of me.

I was without success.  The lens just didn't oblige no matter whichever part of the subject I pointed the lens to.  The sky was absolutely bright enough for the lens to lock the focus.  The process took like 15 seconds before I finally succeeded by which time the bike moved 10 metres further away from me.

_SAM2538 (Medium)

I have been saying all along that the price is not a major factor in choosing a camera.  But now that the pricing is seemingly starting to go down to a lower level than expected, I think we can turn a blind eye to some flaw of the system, especially when every competitor in this class is more or less plagued by the same issue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.