Skip to main content

Secondary to Echo

_SAM2334p (Medium)

On some occasion, the relation of the secondary subject to the primary is less direct.  But they are not there for nothing.  When a picture is with a background too plain or too messy, I normally walk the scene or wait until the primary subject can stand out from the background.  Among other photographic calculations, I look for the suitable secondary subject to make the composition tick.

In such a situation, I usually need some secondary subject to fill in the background which can as well echo the primary subject.  Otherwise, the extra information given by the secondary subject would be less relevant and may be taken as a weakness marring the composition.  For that matter, it is best if the camera is fitted with a zoom lens to allow me to trim the background.

Here, the setting is rightly romantic for such a shot of two lovers.  But the final image would be bland if the background is left plain without the two boats.  Fact is, there were boats moving along the horizon of which one was cut off on purpose so that the two boats could echo the two lovers in some way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.