Skip to main content

The Soul and Body of Photography

letsplay (Medium)^Monkeys and Monkey Bars: Instead of photographing the subjects, I shot their shadows which told of their action in a more intriguing way with the rhythmic shadows.

It is almost a cliché to say that light is the soul of photography. If light is the soul, a shadow is the body.

Taken together, they are the tools for photographers to draw the pictures, much like a brush to a painter, a carver to a sculptor or a musical instrument to a musician.

But light and shadows are more than just tools. They are also the important factors in a composition.

R0011811 (Medium) ^A Long Working Day: Hopefully the theme is somewhat echoed and enhanced by the long shadows suggesting the day was closing. In fact, it was taken on a winter morning.

Having known the ABCs of light and shadows:

- The light coming sideway gives subjects a richer three-dimensional quality and the light coming from behind is best for putting the subjects in silhouettes, especially when the sun is low, or putting your own shadow in the picture;

- Shadows cast by environmental elements can enrich the setting and patterns in the composition;

- The intensity and shapes of shadows tell of the time and season;

- The orderly, or sometimes disorderly for that matter, arrangements of shadows give images a sense of rhythm;

you may accentuate a photographic theme, the subject and the environmental setting by means of the shadows of different quality.

Next time you photograph, pay attention to the shadows in addition to, if not instead of, the main subjects.

R0018262 (Medium) ^Legs, Pedestal and Railings: After taking the pictures, I kept asking myself what interested me about the scene. It can be the patterned shadows and the peep of the lady's legs which are in contrast to the coarse pedestals. This picture can also be as boring as those of the fellow which were challenging to the common sense about proper photos in his write-up of the ISO 1600 shots of GRD III. I just find the rhythm soothing to me on that windy autumn morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.