Skip to main content

When Cheating Doesn't Matter

R0010039 (Medium) ^To me, dragging the shutter speed to blur motion of secondary subject is a sure-fire way to give street shots a sense of impromptu with a rather journalistic charm to it.

China is as famous as notorious for many things. Cheating is among one of them. I have bags of stories about cheating concerning the nation.

Walk on the streets in China and you'll see the physical evidence. Here are some.

Mark the well arranged sheet displaying photocopies of newspaper clippings in the first photos which was taken in the street of Shenzhen, the booming town neighbouring Hong Kong. In essence, the clippings told of how bad blind children suffered in China, faintly hinting curious people stopping by to donate money to this child whose blindness was without any clue for me to tell for sure.

I doubted if I was too mean to think it this way until I saw another younger boy at the next road junction.

R0010043 (Medium)^For a similar street shot in Hong Kong, such a slow shutter speed would have blurred all the motion regardless of the directions the people are going.

The boy in this second photo was at the age of probably seven. He tried to play blind by keeping his eyeballs rolled up. But he was way too young to keep doing the trick. I saw him apparently look at me at some points of time. And his Erhu movements did not quite match the playback of the recorded music through the speaker.

Then I crossed the road and saw this:

R0010044 (Medium)

A mother was searching for food in the rubbish bin with her child sleeping on her thigh, using a tiny cardboard as his mat. I was so grieved by the sight that I gave the lady 30 Chinese Renminbi, which is the amount for a proper lunch.

Leaving the sad scene I walked for another five minutes until a suspicion struck me. I returned and observed the lady at a distance. There I noticed a man in white shirt and black pants monitoring nearby the lady and the boy. He reminded of the men in similar clothes standing nearby the two "blind" boys.

I observed the lady for some minutes, finding her not picking a bit of food into her mouth. Then with a mix of indignation and unknown courage, I went up to her and took the picture. As you can see in the picture, the boy was cueing the lady about me photographing them.

Hurriedly, the lady picked up some food from the bin and ate it. I stepped closer and peered into the bin only to find just a foam lunch box with food in it which I was sure somebody bought and placed therein. There was not a tiny bit of rubbish in the bin!

The next thing I did was to verbally warn the lady not to take advantage of the boy and people's kindness to cheat money. I didn't stay for another minute there because I was sane: the man was watching.

And what is my second guess? The boys could have been kidnapped from their real parents to help the nasty gangsters to cheat. A guess, but a fair one cos there have been quite a number of news about kidnapped children in China.

When cheating doesn't matter.... (a deep sigh)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.