Skip to main content

Photographic Reasoning in a Bookstore

R0016812 (Medium)^I was so tempted by his typical gesture of reading to tell of the same theme and the more dramatic light/ shade disturbution I could find in the bookstore that I balantly pointed the GX200 exactly this close to him and prepared to shot. He gave me a glimpse but didn't budge, so I released the shutter. The shot was pre-exposed and done in teh black-and-white TE mode.

Only for a month or two since I bought the GX200 did I, being too occupied, not joined the monthly photo contest kindly arranged by Pavel of ricohforum.com, now the de facto official global customer centre for Ricoh cameras. The participation is not simply for winning's sake but more for showing support and sharpening my photographic skills.

This is why I have actually contested some other photo competitions, sometimes successfully, sometimes not so. The greatest reward is not in the prizes but the recognition. I expect to see my other photographic works to be exhibited alongside other finalists' who also almost made it. R0016791 (Medium)

For this month's ricohforum contest themed on Readers Reading, I traveled to the best place for doing the shots, which is naturally the book stores. And it was a big one in Shenzhen, the modern Chinese city neighbouring Hong Kong.

The section which epitomizes the spirit of reading in any book store is naturally the children section, where I headed direct to and found kids occupying the floor reading in every conceiable way. They were so engrossed in their reading that I was free to shoot. But, there the indoor light was anything but dramatic. The setting was also not nice for doing a shot with an obvious primary subject which I had hoped: eyes were all casted downwards and faces were generally not showing.

"How do I express the idea of readers reading?" I muttered to myself.

R0016792 (Medium)

Having taking some test shots around the section and on the brink of quitting, I'd got an idea just in time to save the day: all I had to do was to show how the readers were engrossing in reading! The bookselves drew plenty of diagonal, vertical and horitzontal lines for the compostion. So did the children's characteristic gestures. And if I couldn't take a shot with the primary subject looking into the lens, I could photograph the subject from behind. I could even use the proportion of each subject in the image to tell the importance of the subjects too.

So I kept wandering in the book store at the children section and looking for the right shot ....

But did I succeed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.