Skip to main content

Photographic Reasoning in a Bookstore

R0016812 (Medium)^I was so tempted by his typical gesture of reading to tell of the same theme and the more dramatic light/ shade disturbution I could find in the bookstore that I balantly pointed the GX200 exactly this close to him and prepared to shot. He gave me a glimpse but didn't budge, so I released the shutter. The shot was pre-exposed and done in teh black-and-white TE mode.

Only for a month or two since I bought the GX200 did I, being too occupied, not joined the monthly photo contest kindly arranged by Pavel of ricohforum.com, now the de facto official global customer centre for Ricoh cameras. The participation is not simply for winning's sake but more for showing support and sharpening my photographic skills.

This is why I have actually contested some other photo competitions, sometimes successfully, sometimes not so. The greatest reward is not in the prizes but the recognition. I expect to see my other photographic works to be exhibited alongside other finalists' who also almost made it. R0016791 (Medium)

For this month's ricohforum contest themed on Readers Reading, I traveled to the best place for doing the shots, which is naturally the book stores. And it was a big one in Shenzhen, the modern Chinese city neighbouring Hong Kong.

The section which epitomizes the spirit of reading in any book store is naturally the children section, where I headed direct to and found kids occupying the floor reading in every conceiable way. They were so engrossed in their reading that I was free to shoot. But, there the indoor light was anything but dramatic. The setting was also not nice for doing a shot with an obvious primary subject which I had hoped: eyes were all casted downwards and faces were generally not showing.

"How do I express the idea of readers reading?" I muttered to myself.

R0016792 (Medium)

Having taking some test shots around the section and on the brink of quitting, I'd got an idea just in time to save the day: all I had to do was to show how the readers were engrossing in reading! The bookselves drew plenty of diagonal, vertical and horitzontal lines for the compostion. So did the children's characteristic gestures. And if I couldn't take a shot with the primary subject looking into the lens, I could photograph the subject from behind. I could even use the proportion of each subject in the image to tell the importance of the subjects too.

So I kept wandering in the book store at the children section and looking for the right shot ....

But did I succeed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Real Hero

(Grip On Reality: This photo was taken on my way to work.  I was walking past trucks parking on a cul-de-sac when the ropes caught my attention.  The light was right, the colour was right and the criss-crossing pattern was perfect and I held up my GX200.  People passing by checked me out and wondered what could be made out of such a boring scene.  To me, the fun in photography is that the photographer makes something interesting out of what is not obvious to most at the scene.  The ropes tied in knots somehow reminded people I know who are in the grip of the recession) You must have also known a friend or two, or even yourself, being baffled by the spiral downturn of the economy.   Bank went bankrupt and the rich was faced with a shrinking wealth.  A friend of mine has just had his salary cut by over 10% and some of his colleagues started to be shed. But, wait. Was this done really for the sake of continuing the business? Or is there a factor or greed in it?  I wonder whether the

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Eye Contact

(Leica D-lux 5) The digital era may make it easier to end up with fave shots. Even lousy photos may be turned likable after a few clicks in the post-processing workflow. But if digital advancement or amendments have any bearing on the cultivation of personal style, no photographers will need to discover his or her own photographer’s eye. Undoutedly, this is out of the question. Only with a trained photographer’s eye can we give a thinking gaze and capture an eternal moment, in our unique style. Style is the soul of a great photo. A few posts have been written in GXG to touch on the topic of photographer’s eye. Instead of finding an answer, which would require academic discussions, the posts are intended to give my general reflections and spark interests in moving towards further exploration of the topic.  The posts can be viewed after the links: 1) Photographer's Eye: Storytelling 2) Photographer's Eye: Little Show of Observing 3) Photographer's Eye: Sight-Worthy 4