Skip to main content

Tourist Attraction – Police Photocall

R0012994 (Medium)

Over the meetup with Tom and Yuan Yuan, fellow bloggers and photographers from London last week, we walked by some policemen being on duty. Cameras were pointed to the policemen at once. I held up my GX200, they the GRD II and my friend a LX3. Click, click, click.

We nodded a knowing smile to each other when powering off the cameras. As we all know, the British government has proposed a ban on photographing police being on duty. We quoted Cristi for his recent post about this and joked that tourists being able to photograph police without offending the law could be an attraction for Britons.

R0013187 (Medium) Police is a dream job for all boys at some point of time in their childhood. The traffic police on their vrooming motor bikes won my especial admi- ration because of a Japanese TV programme about some superheros I saw at a very young age. Fact is, I still like those superheros but only for reason of nostagia. When I incidentially bumped into a video of an opening probably filmed in Thailand, I was attracted to it like a cat to its fish.

R0013185 (Medium) (Oops, you are bugged!)

R0013276 (Medium) I know some people working in the Hong Kong Police Force: a macho guy once worked in the Special Duties Unit formed in 1973 and later enhanced by Britain’s Special Air Service, and another in the marine police. You may not know that civilian staff in the Police Force can also assume very high ranking posts. Take for example, a senior psychologist may assume the post title of Chief Superintendent.

R0013278 (Medium)(This photo was taken at the flower market I took the Londoners to during the meetup. After this shot we even saw a Thailand crew filming a pretty Thai star)

The most unbelievable rumour I heard about the Police Force was that in a report room, someone dressed as a diver, walked by a trouble-making villain filing a complaint against a crime operation and bashed him on his head with some soft diving equipment. The villain, of course, lodged another complaint about the diver. What came next was that his complaints were nullified altogether on suspicion of his hallucination.

Well, that is only a rumor, believe it or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.