Skip to main content

H(ole)

squares(Leica D-Lux 5)

A renowed design-visual-art guru, the mastermind behind the visual arts course I enrolled in, has been like a trusty hiking team leader guiding his pupils into the unexplored wonderland of art and to scale new heights. For all that I have been practising observation through a photographer's eye, it didn't happen to me before the guru's prompt that observation isn't all looking and seeing. To an artist, he revealed from his 40 years of experience in the arts field, it is primarily about finding out the quintessence of what presents before our eyes. The quintessence of a table can be the sharp corners, and that of a Leica camera can be the rectangular form. Once the quintessence is grabbed, the artist can start to transform the object into a work of art.


For example, the quintessence of a safety pin hinges on its unique head and coiled structures. With that in mind, one can alter it into any form or shape and the viewers will be visually challenged by a novelty yet something reminiscent of a safety pin. (For copyright reason, I have not the permission to upload my other drawing which is also derived but departs further from the conventional safety pin form) The implication of this on photography is a much broader avenue for photographers to experiment on the shots, to me in a more philosophical sort of way as in today's shot.

I saw this man hiding in a hollow space from the sun and engrossed in his phone. The quintessence of the scene is hiding, hole and hollow. So I framed the shot to show also the curtained off window and overall to give the H shape to echo the essential H elements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.