Skip to main content

Red and Yellow

redandyellow_(Leica D-Lux 5)

The more I use my currently owned cameras, the less keenly felt is the tantalising chance of getting a new camera between the hefty price tag and the perennial mulling over which will be the perfect choice. It sounds like a paradox but the perfect choice is very often among those lying in your camera cabinet. In the film era, there was a notion of outgrowing a camera before getting a new one. Fact is, it takes years of using and exploring with a camera to outgrow it. These days, the short cycles of quantum leap in digital imaging technology make me wonder whether so many novel fancy features should be put in a new model in the first place. I bet 99% of the users would have never touched half of all functions before the thought is spent on getting the next camera. The notion of outgrowing a camera is out. Most features of a camera are actually of practical value. But we seldom use them and are most interested in chasing the perfect camera.

Trust me, the perfect camera is lying in your camera cabinet. You would have known it if you spend more time exploring it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.