Skip to main content

GX200, My Dearest Darling Still

withastyle(Ricoh GX200)

For street photography, the Ricoh GX200 still proves to be my dearest darling which quite surprises me sitting next to my camera cabinet filled with photographic gear including a SLR, a DSLR, a Leica X1 and the D-Lux 5.

cleaningpole

It has always been clear to me, and it is not really a random opinionated big talk to conclude so, that to a predominant proportion of amateur photographers who have seldom a chance to make a print larger than A2 size (an example here if you wonder how big A2 is) what matters the least is a camera's image quality. I am not saying that IQ is not important. But when comparing IQ becomes a matter of comparing her to her, we're just talking about a matter of preference. What applies to comparing beauties to beauties, the same logic applies to comparing similarly impressive cameras of the same class.

annoyedlook

For sure, technology has made quantum leap in increasingly shorter circles. What is the best camera now can easily descend from the throne in less than a year's time. Undoubtedly, by today's IQ standard, the Ricoh GX200 sucks beyond ISO 200. But with some self-importance and some experience in testing and trying out a number of them, I can easily say that the GX200’s photographer-friendly ergonomics, function accessibility and (choice of really relevant) functionalities still excel in face of many of today's same-class peers and even the mirror-less machines. An exception is probably Samsung's EX2F. I tested the EX1 back when it's first up for grab in the market, and was impressed enough to suggest it to people until the EX2F came out earlier this year. Its user interface is nearly on a par with Ricoh’s handy serious cameras. The EX2F's functionalities are great too (check out a video review here from 1’53” to 3'33”)

troubledlook

I initially hoped to get a camera to replace my D-Lux 5 and GX200. But I can't find a worthy replacement. The GRD4 is great but I am a VF user and will therefore need to shell out extra for a dedicated VF in that case. Now I am not giving up the GX200 and so will also keep the other.

A mugshot of my darling GX200 by the D-Lux 5, grain added in Lr4:

gx200mugshot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.