Skip to main content

Love in the Time of Technology

timeof (Leica D-Lux5)

Nowadays, it is among the communters taking the underground, friends getting together in a cafe, co-workers sitting on a meeting or even lovers hugging one another in the street that the i-short-sightness epidemic shows its astounding intensity. Time will tell if the smartphone is one of those cool things which should not have been invented in the first place.

Today's photo reminds me of a personal experience that speaks volumes for the ludicrous nature of being obsessed with digital communication. It took place over a dinner among members of an executive committee of some sort. While chatting with the members around me, I noticed a young member (well, he is old enough to just get married last month) sitting across the table engrossed in his iPad. He could be playing a game or something and he had barely looked up even when replying his neighbours. Some 45 minutes later, he was still on it. At this juncture, my phone chimed to alert me to an email. I spared it until the folks next to me were away to the gents. Guess who sent the email? Right, it's the young member on the iPad. What is it about? He was applying for a leave for the coming committee meeting. And whom should be noticed about the application? The committee chairman and the members who are sitting right at the same table! He didn't make mention of the application or the email throughout or after the dinner.

Enlighten me if it is only me who is the old school not knowing that digital communication is actually much better and faster than saying it out on the spot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.