Skip to main content

Twice

hug (Leica X1)

Twice – thinking twice before shooting rather than asking twice afterwards. Sometimes we can grow from mistakes. This one is the case in point.

Look at this photo. Wouldn't it be a much better shot if the lovers posed with a kiss on one another's lips? Same as what I have been doing to practise the tactics in street shooting, I went up to them and explained myself to ask for permission to shoot them in this pose. At first they turned their heads and looked into the camera. But I cued them to pretend that they didn't see me. I snapped, thanked them and walked away.

I should have thought twice before taking the shots because at some tens of steps away, I realised that it would make a better shot with them kissing one another in this very same pose. What did I do? I walked back to the spot and had the chutzpah to ask them to do just that. If you were me and had seen the frowning on the lady's face, you might have backed away. Asking for permission twice almost scared her away. She became suspicious of my intention at least. But the man came to my rescue and agreed to pretend a kiss. At this juncture, the waiter in the restaurant came out for them. Their table was ready, worse luck for me.

Regretted that I hadn't thought twice before doing the shot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.