Skip to main content

Selected Excellence: Ole Ole Ole Ole

image

This post wanders a little bit off GX GARNERINGS' track in that the photographer, Dean Dorat, did these wonderful shots not with a serious compact. But who cares? Great football matches are the order of the day and these shots are great! Now, I strongly recommend rolling down to the bottom of this post, clicking on the video and checking out the pictures with the music playing.

Dean is a french photographer based in London. She does photography and graphic design. The pictures here were done for his Beautiful Game project, now available in a book for purchase here.

This is what she has written about the project:

These photographs were taken during the 2006 World Cup, when I divided my time between London and Paris, going from pubs to bars, trying to catch the essence of each football match through people's expressions. Each spectator was so intensely absorbed in the matches that they forgot about the camera pointing at them. These photographs draw us into the emotion of the moment, be it the overwhelming euphoria of victory or the emptiness of defeat.

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

I like the first picture best. He must be the biggest bully in the room. All are great shots! For more, go here. (Courtesy and copyright of Dean Dorat. Dean, thank you for the permission. If you are reading this, maybe you can think about taking part in the PX3 photo contest with these images or even the book as entries.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.