Skip to main content

Will We See Russian Digital Cameras?

image

It may be a dumb question to ask but I for one will love to see a digital serious compact done by Russian camera makers.  Fact is, the former USSR had a long history of camera making.   At least the books say so. From 1932 to 1990, there had been quite a number of camera brands in USSR.  Their logos are displayed in the following image.

imageRussia may not need to build back its consumer-camera  industry from scratch.  OEM products are not a new thing.  If Ricoh can buy Sony's sensors and Nikon supplies its camera bodies to others, Russian cameras can follow this beaten track of development.

Why Russian cameras?  I think the mysterious fanciful history of the former USSR will arouse a great deal of interest in Russia's cameras.   There are just too many cool USSR cameras with sort of a sexy period outlook.  If the right amount of investment is made in buying the right sensors and optics, the Russian makers can revive the glorious past of the USSR in, well, the cameras.

Or will the Chinese chew up the Russian brand names and produce Russian cameras with a Made in China tag?  Some of the sexy USSR cameras:

Chaika-3, 1971-1973.  Feature: Settings are made on the top plate--

image 

KIEV-35M, c1990.  Feature: Front cover folds down to switch the camera on -

image

KIEV-5, c 1967 – 1973.  Feature: This one is equipped with the extraordinarily rare ultra high speed REKORD-4 f0.9/52mm lens -

image 

Oh, or are they ugly to you?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, I'm late..
I would love to see a digital Russian camera as I do collect a few Soviet era film jobs, I was on line now looking to see if a digital model exists, guess you answered my question lol
Nevin said…
Wish you all the luck in your search!

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.