Skip to main content

So, a Crush for your Old Cameras still?

F1640012 (Large) (Medium)^These birds were as big as half an adult's height.  Well, it depends on how high you are.  All images in this post are film photos. 
 
Maybe I shall be as wise as Marco who, in his comment yesterday, revealed that his GX200 would be sold. I am still keeping two GX200, and even my decade-old Minolta Dynax 7 and, believe or not, the dead body (well, it doesn't function anymore) of my Minolta Dynax 7000i plus a P&S Oly film mju-zoom camera.
  
F1640010 (Large) (Medium)
 
Can you recall the crush for such old flames when you first caught sight of them seemingly with a halo overhead inside the shop windows?

And if you have many old cameras, it was "lust" not just "crush".
 

F1640003 (Large) (Medium)^I like the serene view of this boardwalk over a pond.

Want a cure to mitigate your insatisfiable photographic libido which get you in a downward spiral of dire need of money?

It is time to revive your old flames. Give them a hug (not with force or the battery compartment flip may fall out) and give them a clean-up as in the first days when you both met. Then, bring them (one at a time) out for a date.
 
F1640017 (Large) (Medium) 
So I brought mine, the Dynax 7  to the Mai Po Marshes which is a nature reserve under the World Wild Fund for Nature (Didn't I say that Hong Kong is not just a city for business?). The reserve restricts access by the general public except for participants of the guided tour at a cost.

F1640018 (Large) (Medium)^The fast focusing of the camera allowed me to snap this tiny bird perched briefly on the fallen bough and flew away in the next second. 
 
Although the tour is primary for bird watching, for which the staff can lend you monocular and binoculars of high-magnification power, it is worthy of a photographic trip or even just chilling-out from the crazy rat-racing world.
 

F1640007 (Large) (Medium)

F1640009 (Large) (Medium)
 
I certainly made sure that it was worthy of all three of the purposes.

The Minolta Dynax 7 with the lenses and the flashgun slowed me down  bit after some time walking around and climbing up and down for photos, which is the downside of heavy, regular photographic gear. The saving grace was that I once again enjoyed the joy of the past when I first used it. Suddenly, I was like being stripped of the desire for any new cameras.

F1640014 (Large) (Medium)
Actually, I felt myself a class above using a film SLR while the others kept checking out the LCD screens of their DSLRs as if they weren't sure about any of the shots. No wonder I could stay more focused on composing and doing every shots.
 
F1640013 (Large) (Medium)
Things became simpler. A good scene, compose, expose and shot. What a refined joy of photography without keeping thinking about the camera per se!

F1640021 (Large) (Medium)

Comments

Rob Leslie said…
I still have many of my favourite cameras. They hold fond memories.
To list just a few.
Ricoh 500G bought in 1979. Pentax ME Super, Nikon EM, Olympus XA, Fuji HDM.
All those have been well used over the years. Despite shooting with many much high grade models they were favorites.
I loved the simple light weight Nikon EM even though I had a F2, F3 and F100. For some reson I prefered the Penatx ME to the MX and later LX.
My oldest camera which I love the most is my Pentax SL bought new in 1968. It must have taken at least 100.000+ exposures but it still works and I still use the f1.8 55mm lens on my digital Pentax DSLRs. I even take the old SL out and take a few shots but I don't bother to put a film in it these days!
Nevin said…
An admirable collection!

Mechanical devices stand the test of time better than the electronic ones. I'd say that 40 years from now not many of today's digital cameras will function as well as your old mechanical gems.

My uncle had spent a fortune (he's young with no money then)in the Nikon F2 system. Unfortunately, the body, lenses and flashgun and all the related paraphernalia have been stored too long too improperly that they go a bit mouldy now.

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.