Skip to main content

GX200 Digital Filters

R0016292 (Medium) ^One of the special things about Hong Kong is that you can see lots of tropical cyclones, or locally known as typhoons, in the summer season here. In the urban areas, however, the buildings are so packed that the real strength of the rainstorms and winds is not fully felt. One has to travel to the less developed but equally accessible countryside to get the real taste. So there are places for both laid-back photographers and the more adventruous ones in photographing the inclement weather.

Further to the mentioning of the magenta cast on the photo yesterday, here are another example. The shot was taken in the morning where a tropical cyclone had just landed on Mainland China. I was strolling along the beach aimlessly, admiring the clouds being stirred in the sky. It was a bit rainy but the sun managed to shine between the clouds. The clouds were so dramatic to my eye that I decided to take a shot.

First I took the shot below, reviewed it and found something wrong. The image showed a rather sunny day because it caught the occassional sunshine. Hoping to faithfully represent the weather of the time, I closed the aperture a bit and use the GX200's white balance correction function, aka by me the digital filters. I moved the cross on the LCD screen to the magenta area to add the same cast to the shot, which is the first picture of this post.

R0016291 (Medium)

The magenta filter is preferred for dusk shots to add a nice pinkish or purplish tinge to the sky. Here the pinkish tinge dramatises the scene, especially the clouds. Now the shot reproduces the scene as it was.

For those of you who don't own a GX200, or those who own one but haven't tried the extremely user-friendly digital filter function, you have missed a big joy. Try it out yourselves and make your own experiments plus conclusions. As far as I'm concerned, it is ace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.