Skip to main content

Why Are My Photos So Hazy?

R0012583 (Medium)(Fruit Spies: The couple are looking for fruits to give as gifts for the Chinese New Year goodwill visits. This is an unedited image straight out of my GX200. Check it out and I think the image is colourful)

I was met with this question from a friend of mine who just bought a new camera. In fact, probably so do you, I have came across photographers grumbling about the hazy colour of photos taken with their cameras. Maybe the GX200 has a tricky in-camera setting which I am not aware of, or maybe it is a more advanced piece of machine, I have read similar questions more often from GX200 users.

Every where has a wherefore. To name a few possible explanations:

1) The sky is hazy.

2) The sun is not shining at the desirable angel.

3) The air is polluted.

4) In case of a night shot, there is heavy light pollution.

5) The exposure combo is not right.

6) The EV has been pulled up for an average scene.

7) The scene is too contrasty and spotmetering is not used.

8) The previous exposure is accidentally locked for a new scene.

9) The metering system is turned away from “multi” and the camera meter is pointed at a scene with atypical lighting in the center.

10)The colour setting is set to “my setting” 1 or 2 which has been adjusted undesirably.

11)The colour setting is set to “soft” (which I like for my taste).

12)The lens may have been pointed to a light source which blind the metering somehow.

13)In case of a photo with flash, the flash output is under- or over-powered.

14)GX200’s way of handling colour is not your cup of tea.

15)The WB setting is upset.

16)You actually have a penchant for vivid this and vivid so that you remembered the scene with the colour of your taste.

17)You have been spoiled by, say, Canon camera’s ultra vividly colourful way of handling the photo.

R0012647 (Medium) (2)(Fruit Baskets: The utter splendid way to give fruit as a gift is to shell out more money for a specially decorated basket to hold the fruit. The Chinese New Year is the big business time for fruit retailers. This photo was post-processed to beef up the otherwise hazy colour)

R0012647 (Medium)(This photo is the striaght-out image with bland colour. There are several reason for this. First, I use the “normal” colour setting, which I like its soft character. Second, the sun was not at the angel to bring out the colours on earth. Third, it is a kiosk next to a busy, polluted road. Fourth, I deliberately turned the EV to +0.7 for the sake of getting more information in the image. In fact, the real scene looked as soft in colour as in this image. The GX200 is quite accurate for its AWB)

Talking about explanation no. 17, the final images taken with cameras of different brands are destined to look differently. Call it character of the image or a matter of taste, this is comparable to the distinctive handling of colours by different films. In fact, I quite like the soft character of GX200’s images; for one thing, it appropriately interprets the skin colour of oriental people to my eye and, for another, the transition of colours is smoother (nice for B&W) and details are better preserved IMO.

So, maybe next time you hear someone ask a similar question, you may ask them to at least check out the above 17 reasons. Better still, ask them to get a habit of reviewing the photos and jotting down their insights. Photographic skill has to be learned and practised to make it perfect. Keep going! Leave a comment if you have discovered some other explanations for a hazy image.

Comments

Cristian said…
The contrast is what I found most often the reason for "hazy" pictures. If the contrast is set to low it will give dull pictures. A quick adjustment in camera or Photoshop and the pictures look great.
Nevin said…
That's another good observation.

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.