Skip to main content

Mutation (On Reflections #5)

R0011484 (Medium)

This is the last instalment on the reflections series. You may also check out instalments 1, 2, 3 and 4.

By mutation, I mean other creative ways to use reflections. Reflections can be real, and can be fake too. Let me give you some tips I have in stock.

First, do post processing. Making post-processed reflections in the photos can give some intriguing abstract results. The photo above is made possible by using a rather full-fledged free software called Photoscape. It offers a wide array of effects like illusions and reflections. I used both to come up with another photo:

R0011557 (Medium)  (2) More interesting results can be seen here by Paul.

Second, reflections can be faked by asking your model to mimic, say, a mannequin in a display window, a real person nearby or a mugshot on a magazine cover.

F1000031 (Medium)

(Taken with Minolta Dynax 7)

Otherwise, look for a wet surface. I am not speaking of real mirrored reflections here. But a wet surface can also do wonders to a photo. Take for example, walk around town at night and see if you’re lucky enough to be there after it showered or the workers washed the street. The reflections of lights on the wet street surface add colours to an otherwise usual image. For sure, the best known way of doing this is a landscape shot over waters. I hope that this series offer some useful pointers to you in doing more interesting photos. Enjoy photography! It will give your life-long fun.

R0012963 (Small)

R0011491 (Medium)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Low Prices

The window shopping some hours ago has almost provoked my AgIDS illness.  Just in case you’re in Hong Kong or are coming here, and have the money to burn (All in HK$/ body only): GX200 = $3,280 GRD2 = $3,380 LX3 = $3,180 G10 = $3,280 Prices are available form a gear shop on the 1st floor of the Mongkok Computer Centre.   Besides these new low prices, I found that Wing Shing Photo (55-57Sai Yeung Choi St., MK Tel: 2396 6886/ 91-95 Fa Yuen St., MK  Tel: 2396 6885) is offering a Sony A700 + Carl Zeiss Lens package for HK$9,980 (hopefully, a bargain will make it some hundreds cheaper).

Mini Review of GRD II by Colin Bradbury

Today, we are going to learn some useful insights from Colin Bradbury in his mini review of the GRD II. Colin is a professional photographer stationed in Hong Kong. Photos are copyrighted to him. (St Agnes, Cornwall. 'Environmental' portrait) By COLIN BRADBURY: Just back from 2 weeks in rural England with the family over Christmas. Since this was a family holiday and not a photography trip I wanted to travel light. On that basis I left my DSLRs at home and took the GRDII as my only camera to save weight but also to see how useful it would be as the only camera in a variety of photographic situations. I have to say I was very pleased with it and didn't miss having a zoom or longer lens at all. The 28mm is a perfect single focal length and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Landscapes are clearly well suited to the 28mm but less obviously I have also found it to be great for portraits. With a 28mm you are forced to do 2 things. First, to get in closer ...

Respite

(Ricoh GRD4) Yahoo! I found the invoice for the GRD4 and sent it to the dealer for repairing the malfunctioning manual focus, which rendered the snap mode totally useless.  I hope it will be soon for the GRD4 to be up and about.